All entries for October 2019
October 30, 2019
Learning from the Paul's workshop of time management.I realised my problem is doing too much things at once.
I need to pay more attention to these Important & Not-urgent tasks, instead of just listing and piling all the tasks day by day. I hate to be a firefighter, I hate to push myself to meet the deadline, also I hate to stay up at night.
I really appreciated The Role thinking method, which helps me to clarify the most important goal for me this year: I am doing my Master and I am also a part of my families.
I've tried the Pomodoro last year when I was preparing for the language test. But it doesn't work because in most cases I just ignore it. I'd like to try 52/17 Timer and use a Habit Tracker to monitor my pattern. I think it's kinda interesting. I've downloaded and compared several APP in the past hours, and at last I just leave a simple & user-friendly one to be my assist.
OK, I would spend some time on meditation and then spent 25 mins to write what I've learned today in my reflective Blog. Deal!
I'm quite frustrated right now. I feel unproductive because I'm easily distracted by EVERYTHING online. It is easy to find something interesting papers and books and before I know what has happened I run out of time to finish my tasks.
As Kathryn Schulz observed for The New Yorker in 2015, rabbit hole has further evolved into a metaphor for extreme distraction in the digital age: “These days, however, when we say that we fell down the rabbit hole, we seldom mean that we wound up somewhere psychedelically strange. We mean that we got interested in something to the point of distraction—usually by accident, and usually to a degree that the subject in question might not seem to merit.”
I was told to regard my curiosity as a great strength, but now I have to be careful about it. The biggest strength might turn out to be the biggest weakness as well.
Interesting talks as follows:
October 29, 2019
October 21, 2019
October 16, 2019
- Production volumes versus target.
- Production volumes last week versus performance in the week before.
- Production volumes compared to the same week last year.
- I received two post mails yesterday hahaha, I don't know I just get happy to see something lying in my mailbox.
- I know which database is useful for my course and how to narrow down the search results range. I am always pround of my information literacy skills, joking.
- Oh I bookded an industrial visit during the class,it's a new partner for this year. I hope there would not be any time clash.
- I bought a £2.5 food container at Wilko this morning and luckily it's the last one on shelf.
October 15, 2019
I know I am not good at time management, or you could say energy management.
My former leader he told some ways but I still find myself unproductive somehow. So I attended a workshop called organise your time last weekend. Fruitfully, I not only gain some insights but also make a new friend Sofia, a girl from Greece. Oculus O.02 is my favorite classroom to meet nice people I have to say, so lucky.
Back on my topic, now I can differentiatethe GOAL/PROJECT between the TASK. But the timetable on my Warwick APP still sucks I have no idea to do with it. So I download Todoist to make a schedule for myself. More user-friendly and more flexible.
I used another APP Sleep Cycle to monitor my Sleep Quality, but every morning I get up I was shocked that how bad the quality was on my sleep last night. It just frustrated me. Sorry Goodbye~
There are something wrong with my body health these days, but I got many comfort from my close friends at home. I started to cook by myself, and posted daily meals on an APP for the sake of record. I am going to making friends with food and my body.
I live on campus where just 6mins away the WMG building. My mates living in downtown spend over 2 hrs. on commute~~I know how is feeling, over the past three years, I totally understand!
But I need to make the most of this advantage, so far I don't think I make it. I will make a plan anyway~
Life is tough due to cooking, study is tough because of the group work. I have no idea how to deal with these two presentation on Thu and Fri, well, let's see how it goes. But I will do my best anyway, and Sofia just told me she didn't sleep a wink last night for a lab report. Oh no~
I went to the dirty duck this noon for the free lunch offered by MetaSwtich~ sorry~but they are cold. But, I took a testing paper from their test team which is really interesting. The questions on that are really critical and novel, wow, that's the way UK company seeking for the right people. Got it.
Well~ It's quite difficult to stick to my goals-keep writing every day. But I love reflection, which enables me to know How MUCH I know, as well as how LITTLE I know.
But there're so many things and so many Aha moments I wanna to write it down and share with my friends and colleagues at home and abroad.
Teaching & Studying Models I've went through so far:(There is no judgement, only preference)
1. You are supposed to believe what's been told in class, and the school cares about how much you receied in class, and then evaluate you by scoring.
2. Your tutor is a facilitator. They prefer to be critized and challenged by your critical thing. Be sceptical to everything you've been taught. You are not studying for one particular knowledge, rather, you are learning how to learn.
I prefer the latter one, because I was meant to go to bed early by ten yesterday. However, I was surprised that the more I learned, the more I feel thrilled about this topic. I try to make a link between these knowledge or theories with my previous experience. I try to find out WHY I am/was thinking in these ways.
But I don't wanna be a night owl~I wanna be a early bird though. Those peopel I know and admire are used to getting up early in the morning, like two of my former Colleauges Rich and Cai, some brilliant students in Cambridge, Harvard. I am not going to follow their path, but I hope I could make the most of life from the very beginning of the day.
Competition VS Cooperation
As a student here, I don't need to show my capability by competing over others. The course tutor try to reduce any competiton among the class and encourage more cooperation. Quoted from Paul, we all have two ears, two eyes, and one mouth, and make sure you understand others before being understood. Exactly! I cannot agree with him more. I am gonna making more efforts to listening and understanding others because I believe I can learn more from my peers than my tutors under certain circumstances.
When it comes to competition within an organization, say I am the manager of one dept. It's not uncommon that I wanna make my dept stand out in this company. But it's absolutely WRONG! As a part of the whole system( system thinking), my goal should be the success of the whole organization, not my dept. There is no point making a excellent dept, but it's the whole group that matters. What a pity that I didn't know that before attending any meetings with senior managers, now I wanna observe how these managers propose the problems occured in their teams and how do they sort out a solution for the organizational issue. I will ask my colleauges hahaha.
I am the lucky one because I've been working with three top managers in Lumi. Compared with other assistants, I have more autonomy and flexibility. In most cases, I was assigned with goals, but specific tasks.
As an effective leader, how do you motivate and inspire, or stimulate your staff? Quoted again from Paul, what we can do is to create a suitable environment for our workers, where they can grow and reach their potentials. For example, we are growing plants. We don't need to select the best seed, but we give them enough sunshine, run, fresh air and fertilizer to help them grow.
How can I be heard as a junior/ How can I make a difference on the organization
One person can never change the whole system, not even the CEO. But you can make a influence on the people around you. Of course, those peole in return will have some impact on you too. Gradually, you two small group will grow into many groups and become bigger and bigger until one day the top manager team will see the change.
October 02, 2019
Tue 9th day Sunshine!!!
I'm not counting the dates day by day, which just makes me sentimental. But I do wanna live a campus life on my own calendar.
- Finally, I got the appointment of police registration.
- Today's weather is PERFECT, even though I spent the whole day in class with my tutor and mates, still perfect.
- Academic writing is not gonna be a problem, just write write write every day(sorry I'm wordy)
- Well, I attended a career guidance yesterday, so the point from the consultant is just get much experience as possible, and they don't need to be related to my target work, really. Just try to get more inspiration from the Warwick community.
- Today, Paul and Vagelis have emphasized that the study environment on MBE is quite different. We' would learn how to learn and we do PMA is for FEEDBACK, not for a mark, which I call it a "Aha moment!"
- I know the the PUNCTUALITY is kinda a British Rule, so I just try to be on time for any appointment or event. I've make a pic as the wallpaper on my phone.hahahaha
- Many of classmates speak really fluently and fast, I feel bit difficult to catch them and still need time to adjust distinctive accents.
- I try to manage my time and energy well, like I gonna go to sleep by ten. Sleep better, Study better, I couldn't agree more.
- A book per week may be too demanding for me, so maybe just one fortnightly.
- I am learning Slovakian, at least to speak the Rrrrrrr sound correctly.
- I'm still bad at cooking, and have on idea about the food I've done. Also, I find myself craving sweet since yesterday, hope it's temporary like a tornado. I cannot live with ED anymore!!!! I am gonna combat this.
- I am losing hairs now, Gosh, please~