Virtual Learning Environment benchmarking workshop
We have a nice shiny new experimental teaching space called the Teaching Grid. It has lots of projectors, nicely spaced out, with moveable partitions that can be used to create separate zones. My idea is this:
- Divide the room up into 6 zones, each with a screen, PC and projector.
- In each zone, display one of 6 different VLEs (WebCT, Blackboard, Moodle, Sakai, Sitebuilder/Warwick Blogs, and WebLearn/Boddington).
- Have a team of VLE users (teachers and students) & admins for each of the 6.
- Create a matrix of requirements, features, design patterns, and analyse each one accordingly.
- Present a list of 5 best aspects of each one.
- Allow each of the 6 teams to visit all of the others.
There will also be a “beyond the VLE” section, for features and design patterns that don’t exist in any of the VLEs.
We have the technology. I can get money for a lavish(!) buffet. All I need are representatives from unis that use each of the systems.
I’m aiming for mid-September 2008 for this.Anyone interested?