Student Careers & Skills new website
Careers & Skills is in the process of integrating 5 websites into 1. This is due to the department being restructured in the summer of 2010. Student Careers & Skills is currently in it's first academic year of operation. The individual websites need to be merged into 1 to show the users all our services and how we can helped them in their career and academic skills development.
The new website is to be completed by 31st July 2011 (the current website is over 900 pages long!)
From January I have been attending the Operations group meetings when they have been discussing what is required in the new website. We grouped all of the sections of the website and the headings were agreed by the Operations Group. I along with the IT Officer put these headings looking for any missing areas into a tree diagram. The tree diagram was taken to the Operations group to agree it. This was all agreed in May 2011
Since the end of April I have been working on the website project 100%, no more Helpdesk enquiries for me.
I've been responsible for:
- Taking colleagues permissions away from the websites & informing them via the staff newsletter.
- Developing a Project Plan on the time scales that colleagues are able to update or write information for the new website.
- Created an order to copy the content, this was decided by using the project plan
- Written instructions on how to copy content of the current websites into a word document, standardising file names and where the documents are to be saved.
- Trained colleagues on how to copy the content of the webpages.
I realised that the copying the current website content wasn't happening fast enough so I spoke to my line manager and we organised getting a temp in. I already knew that we had budget to cover the cost of getting a temp. I had to write what skills were required for the job and was involved in interviewing them. This was my first time of being involved in interviewing. The temp is great he is very fast at the copying the content.
I don't seem to have time to do any of the copying as I've been organising the project and sorting out queries.
As the temp was very fast at copying the content, I then spoke to the Skills team about taking away their website permissions, so we could start to copy the web pages. This was agreed by the team.
Divided up the website sections that the Operations & Information team were to update or write. Decided which Information Adviser had the skills to do which section. In the process of this I realised that all of the sections that the Ops & Info we were supposed to update we did not have the necessary skills for and I spoke to other colleagues who would have more expertise in these areas, i.e. Careers Fairs & Employers Events this was passed to a member of Employer Connect.
I wrote an email explaining what was required in the updating, attaching the relevant files, the new website structure & a guide on writing for the web. After the emails were sent I spoke to each of the Information Advisers who had sections to update and I explain what was required, as each section requires different information.
W/C 16th May
Sent all the Key Job sectors files (old files from the website) to the relevant Careers Consultant. The key contact for the Careers team organised who was going to do which section and I spoke to her about any queries.
W/C 23rd May
Emailed the relevant careers consultants the rest of the files for the sections of the websites they are updating i.e. career planning.
It doesn’t sound like much sending emails to colleagues with files attached but it took me all day today (Monday) to send the rest of the sections to the careers consultants as I have to send at least 5 files with each email and I need to make sure that I have not missed any documents off.
Reflection so far
Currently we are on target with the project plan. Thanks to a lot of help from colleagues who are acting a key contacts and understand the importance and complexity of the new website project.
It is a huge task to complete and I'm mainly concerned with the current content and how to integrate all the websites into one. There is another large issue to do with the design, but we have come up with mock ideas and have turned to elab for their expertise in designing the home page and students landing page.
I feel that it is my job co-ordinate the updating of content or creating of new content, explaining what we are looking for and try make sure that people keep to deadlines. I may be grey by the time this is finished!