I have 2 part time jobs and my other one is The Weekend Librarian at Lanchester Library at Coventry Uni.
This job is based on floor 2 on the Social Sciences floor helping students with their enquiries for half a day at the weekend. (There are 2 weekend librarian posts and Karen works on alternate days to me). It is more of a traditional library role and gives me my library fix!
I support the weekend lending services based on the ground floor and they let me know if they have any problems (although the senior clerks sort out the majority of problems but I'm there if they need me).
The student enquiries can be:
- I can't find this book
- I want to book a group study room or sorting out group room disputes (who's booked what room etc)
- to helping / showing them how to do subject searching
- wanting to watch a DVD or video
- can't use the presentation equipment in the group study rooms
- how to use the printers and photocopies
- how to access the library resources off campus
I have to tell student to Shhh and to use "their phone on the stairwell" (when I say these things I think that I need to grow my hair into a bun and wear sandals in the snow).
I also help to support the academic services teams by doing any work left by them. At the moment I have a large reading list to add to TalisList or it maybe help with classifying the European Documentation Collection (not my strong point).
I do enjoy helping the students even with the simplest questions or queries as they do appreciate the help!