Corcoran, K. and Sim, C. (2009), ‘Pedagogical reasoning, creativity and cooperative learning in the visual art classroom’, International Journal of Education through Art 5: 1, pp. 51–61, doi: 10.1386/eta.5.1.51/1
Pedagogical reasoning, creativity and cooperative
learning in the visual art classroom’
Corcoran, K. and Sim, C. (2009), ‘Pedagogical reasoning, creativity and cooperative
learning in the visual art classroom’, International Journal of Education through Art 5: 1, pp. 51–61, doi: 10.1386/eta.5.1.51/1
Purpose : To explore how using reflective practice & a cooperative learning structured modelling approach could raise pupil independence and creativity in 50 16-18 year old art students in Australia
· Action research.
· Initially process-product.
· Field log, questionnaires and mainly observations (video and interviews)
· Using a clear model, pupils become self-regulated learners, able to review and process their own learning and creativity.
· Lower ability pupils engaged more
· Groups should be based on friendship groups as art is a personal subject
· Perhaps AT should be used in cooperative way instead of a personal way?
· Perhaps a lack of modelling or structure will mean pupils struggle? Interview & questionnaire feedback should help ascertain this
Assessment of the value of the article
Has a couple of good quotes promoting shift of power to pupils. Lack of any quanitative data. Only one teacher used.
· Learn about self-regulating learning
· Contact the teacher (Kerrie Corcoran) on: firstname.lastname@example.org
· Creativity research journal
Other References to follow up:
Zimmerman, B. J. (1989), ‘A social cognitive view of self-regulated learning’, Journal
of Educational Psychology, 81 (3), pp. 329–339.
Amabile, T. M. (1996), Creativity in Context, Boulder, CO: Westview Press.
Brown, R. T. (1989). ‘Creativity … what are we to measure?’ In J. A. Glover, R. R Ronning,
and C. R. Reynolds (eds), Handbook of Creativity. New York: Plenum Press,
Cropley, A. J. (2001), Creativity in Education and Learning, London: Kogan Page.
Osborn, A. F. (1953), Applied Imagination, New York: Scribner.
Parnes, S. J. (1967), Creative Behaviour Guidebook, New York: Scribner.
Parnes, S. J. and Harding, H. F. (eds)(1962), A Source Book for Creative Thinking,
New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons.