Back on the bike
Since I bought Chris May's bike I have been enjoying hitting the back roads of south Warwickshire. There are a few lessons though:
1. SPD pedals – take foot out of pedal before getting to the junction
2. It's been longer than I thought since I was last cycling regularly – bits of me need more time to get used to it again
3. How did I manage on the roads on my old (15 years ago) heavy road bike – the new bike is so quick to get up to speed.
4. My new cycling shoes let rather more air flow through them than I thought strictly necessary on a cold sunday morning – thick socks in order.
5. I won't be cycling to work anytime soon.
On a sadder note the death of 4 cyclists in wales serves as a reminder of how vulnerable you can be on a bike. No matter how safe you consider yourself it only takes a mistake from another road user to cause mayhem. I would ask the gentleman I saw out with his daughter yesterday, neither wearing helmets, to reflect on that and remember the words of a london doctor when asked whether people should be bothered to wear a helmet:
"Well, it's the difference between me giving you an asprin and teaching you how to talk again.