All entries for Friday 23 November 2007
November 23, 2007
Something on my mind for a while has been the question of creative working spaces.
Students have the Learning Grid and Reinvention Centre.
Academics will shortly have the Teaching Grid .
Is there not a need for a similar space for administrators?
It would be interesting to trial a space for administrators to use for impromptu get togethers and creative play. Note that the coffee bar doesn’t really count for this, nor do meeting rooms as they aren’t really the best places for this sort of environment.
So, I have a proposition. As part of Warwick iCast there is an editing suite in the back of RSS in University House Annex. During term time it’s a bit busy but out of term time there is some capacity in it so here’s an invitation for a trial period. Any administrators who want to use the room to chuck ideas around can come and use the space to just do that.
Of course there are some ground rules.
1. You have to accept that there will be people doing editing in the corner – just ignore us as we will ignore you
2. No more than 4 people at once – otherwise things get too crowded
3. No senior administrators – i leave it to your discretion to decide if you fit that description
4. No meetings – really – if it looks like you’re having a meeting you will be asked to leave.
5. I reserve the right to shut the door if I really need to.
There’s a video camera and MP3 recorder if you want to record your thoughts. Bring your own coffee mugs though.
So if you want a bit of space to think about stuff with a colleague in a relaxed spot then please feel free to pop along. Part of the challenge will be to find it in the first place – but hey! look at it as a creative task!
Note that you need to give me a chance to tidy up first.
If this is interesting post a comment below. If I get a favourable response i’ll offically kick it off.