All entries for Wednesday 22 February 2006
February 22, 2006
only post on the subject – promise
This will be my only post on the subject of my cycling accident.
A few observations.
1. When being pitched over your handle bars try and land on your helmet (Huh George!) rather than your face. Your helmet is designed to resist impact – your face is not.
2. Only try and damage one arm, not both. My left arm, which suffered some soft tissue damage, is more painful than my right hand, which has the fracture. The left arm is compensating for the loss of the right hand and is now very achey.
3. To all our medical students – please learn to communicate with patients. I may not care which bone is damaged but please listen to your patients and give them the info they need. Don't follow the lead of the consultants who tell someone to wear a cast for 4 weeks and then vanish before the patient has time to ask a few questions. Learn from them but don't copy them
4. To the dentist who rebuilt my front tooth – I retract all previous statements about dentists. You have restored not just my tooth but my faith in your profession. I also did not mind you nipping off to be sick half way through – I could see you were also having a bad day. The fact that it only cost £35 is still amazing – i was expecting an expensive cap, but you didn't sell me what I didn't need and still did a fantastic job.
5. To Mr Chris May – if you get a call from Messers Sue, Grabbit and Runne I would advise you to be co-operative! Only joking :-) – the bike is well and only needs a bit of TLC to get back on the road.
6. To the cyclist who stopped to help and the people in Walton who picked me up – thankyou very much. Your help was most appreciated. And sorry to the little girl who was frightened by a big scary man with a bloody face.
7. Is this wrong (I think so…) – on the back of the appointment card for the fracture clinic at Warwick Hospital is an advert for a law firm chasing compensation deals. I thought this was pretty offensive. Do we really live in a world where this is morally acceptable?