I am sitting at Los Angeles airport waiting for my flight back to London. After 4.5 months away it definitely feels like to time to go home.
To conclude, here are my thoughts on the best bits of New Zealand (call it Stewart’s very brief tourist guide). It has something of a South Island bias.
- Favourite place: Mount Cook Village
- Favourite walking area: Arthurs Pass
- Most beautiful spot:Glenorchy and the Dart River Valley
- Best day walk:The climb to the Mueller Hut by Mount Cook (but you need some snow), closely followed by Avalanche Peak at Arthurs Pass (you need a sunny day)
- Best activity:Glacier walking (Fox Glacier)
- Most fun:Driving a cross country kart in a downpour near Greymouth on the West Coast. The wetter and muddier the better!
- Best drive:From Geraldine to Twizel and on to Queenstown
- Best beaches: Abel Tasman National Park (especially Onetahuti beach)
- Most relaxing: The thermal pools at Hanmer Springs
- Best place to stay: Awaroa Lodge in Abel Tasman National Park
Goodbye New Zealand!