All entries for Friday 20 May 2005
May 20, 2005
Writing about web page http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm
What does it do?
Panda ActiveScan will scan the files on your computer for viruses and spyware. It can automatically remove the viruses, and will tell you about any spyware.
How do I get it?
Panda ActiveScan is a web-based scanner, which means that you use it by visiting a website. The scanner downloads files to your computer, but you need to visit the website again each time you want to use it.
You can run the scan by first visiting the web page shown above. When you get to the website click the 'Scan your PC' button.
How do I use it?
When you have accessed the website and clicked the 'Scan your PC' button a new window will open – you must keep this window open while using the scanner.
Then follow the on-screen instructions to start the download process.
To scan for viruses and spyware:
- Click the 'Scan your PC' button, as above
- Click 'Next' to accept the legal terms
- Type your email address* and click 'Send'
- Leave the window open while the scanner files are downloaded
- Once downloading is complete, choose what to scan for (under 'Scan options', I suggest you make sure you enable the option to disinfect automatically)
- Click what you want to scan to start the scanner (usually 'All my computer')
*At the end of the scan, you will be asked to choose your email program so that results can be emailed to you. The results of the scan will be displayed in the scanner window anyway. Don't worry about spam – Panda will not send you lots of junk messages although they may send a small number of promotional emails.
To remove detected viruses and spyware:
- Viruses will be removed by the scanner, if you remembered to choose the option to disinfect automatically
- Spyware will not be removed; if it is detected run a spyware removal program such as Ad-Aware
- When you have finished you can then close the browser window to exit the scanner
To check for and install updates:
- You don't need to worry about updates – the scanner will automatically use the latest version every time you visit the website
- Unless you want a second opion, speed up the scanning by disabling the spyware detection option – you should use a spyware detection program such as Ad-Aware to stop spyware
- To speed up the scanning, you could also disable the heuristics scanning option (which can also remove clever but harmless programs, thinking they are viruses)
- I suggest you use Panda ActiveScan occasionally (say once every month) to be sure that your computer is secure, but you may find it is generally quicker to use a full anti-virus program installed on your computer
Note – the instructions above are for guidance only. The software and website referred to are subject to change without notice. Contact the software vendor for comprehensive directions.