All entries for Tuesday 22 November 2005
November 22, 2005
Recently I have been thinking about just how cool mathematics is, now, I know that most people at this point will think I'm a little crazy, but once you understand what mathematics is, you just can't help but be in awe of its overwhelming greatness.
You see, the problem is, that unlike every other subject out there, Mathematics doesn't live in the real world. Mathematics lives in a purely abstract, imaginary universe. When most people think of maths, usually after I've told them I'm on a maths degree, they think back to their GCSE days and think that maths is all about sizes of angle in triangles and solving quadratic equations, NOOOOO. This isn't what maths is about, Maths is about looking at the logical statements we have already made, and using them to deduce new ones. Group Theory, where my main interest in maths lie, is massively abstract, you work with objects that only exist because you write them down, but Group Theory also gives you the tools to say when one object equals another, and so you can then say which sectons of mathematics are equivalent.
Group Theory is just so good, it stems from four axioms, and with that a huge area of maths, if not maths itself, arises.
Anywho, just a quick rant, about maths, the only super-subject.
I've had some very odd lectures, recently, there was one on Friday when the lecturer recieved five pints, and drank all but one,
And yesterday, we had this,
Yes, that is a giant hand being used to point out equations.
One of my housemates sent me this quiz, and seeing as how these things seemingly belong on warwick blogs, I though I'd add my own responses:
1. First name? Steven.
2. Were you named after anyone? Yes, everyone was named after someone else.
3. Do you wish on stars? No
4. When did you last cry? Sunday Evening
5. Do you like your handwriting? I quite like it, others however…
6. What is your favourite lunch meat? Spanish Salami
7. What is your birthday? 17th September
8. What is your most embarrassing cd? Star Wars Episode I Soundtrack.
9. If you were another person, would YOU be friends with you? Often, it's just me and myself.
10. Do you have a journal? Yes, of sorts.
11. What are your nicknames? 'Big-Steve'
12. Would you bungee jump? Yeah!
13. Do you untie your shoes when you take them off? Depends on the shoe.
14. Do you think that you are strong minded? With some things, yes.
15. What is your favourite ice cream flavour? Chocolate, with added things like cookies etc.
17. Red or Pink? Red.
18. What is your least favourite thing about yourself? Physical Shape.
19. Who do you miss most? A very special friend, who I haven't spoken to in ten years, well she was special.
20. Do you want everyone you send this to, to send it back? Oh, go on then.
21. What colour pants and shoes are you wearing? I'm not wearing any of the above! (I'm guessing its the american pants.)
22. What are you listening to right now? Linkin Park – In the End.
23. Last thing u ate? Slice of caramel shortcake.
24. If you were a crayon, what colour would you be? Blue.
25. What is the weather like right now? Cold, but nice, and yes the house is cold.
26. Last person you talked to on the phone? Mother.
27. The first thing you notice about the opposite gender? Eyes.
28. Do you like the person who sent this to you? Yes
29. Favourite drink? Coffee
30. Favourite Sport? Formula 1
31. Hair Colour? Dark
32. Eye Colour? Brown
33. Do you wear contacts? No
34. Favourite Food? Pasta.
35. Last Movie You Watched? Edward Scissorhands
36. Favourite Day of the Year? Errr, don't really have one.
37. Scary Movies or Happy Endings? Happy endings I guess, scary movies rarely scare me.
38. Summer or winter? Summer you fools.
39. Hugs OR Kisses? Hugs
40. What Is Your Favourite Dessert? Any Cheesecake
41. Who is most likely to respond? People who are aware of its existence.
42. Who Is Least Likely To Respond? Starving, HIV infected, Third World Children.
43. Who lives in your house? Grannah, Tomb and the lovely Holly
44. What books are you reading? Ekkk, here goes: "The Game", "Field Arithmetic", "Groups, Rings and Galois Theory", "Right Hand, Left Hand", "Fractal Geometry" and "Number Thoery".
45. What's On Your Mouse Pad? Err, its a pad of paper, wide ruled, without margin, four holes.
47. Favourite Smell? Success.
48. Favourite Sound? Sister's children playing
49. Rolling Stones or Beatles? Stones.
50. What's the furthest you've been from home? Austria.