- North Caroline State University (NCSU) Website structure: Find | Get Help | Services | AboutMore: Launch publicity , Redesign project page, Personas, Discussion about NCSU library website
Discovery - Bento box (Summon, classic, web site and other sources)
- Princeton University Library Website structure: Research | Libraries and Collections | Services | AboutLibrary Web Redesign Project - Libguides for subject guides.
Discovery: Bento box (Primo, Summon, Databases, web site and LibGuides)
- Stanford University Website structure: About | Using the Library| Guides | Research Support | Ask UsMore: Two things prompted by a new website. Nice 'Places to study' page | Stuart Snydman's A brief techical primer on Stanford's new library website
Discovery: Bento box (Books & media, databases, web site, and links to Xsearch and Google Scholar) -uses Blacklight
- Dartmouth College Website structure: Find It | Research Support | Services | About the Libraries | Teaching Support | Help YourselfDiscovery: Bento box (Summon, Library catalog, website)
- University of Michigan
Website structure: Search | Browse | Get Help
Discovery: Bento Box (Databases, Catalog, Online Journals, Additional -Looking for articles (Summon)... , Research Guides, Library webpages, Collections, Librarians, Staff Directory
- University of Calgary Website structure: Search Collections | Services | Hours and Locations | About Us | Get HelpDiscovery: Bento Box (Summon (articles), Summon (journals), Summon (books etc), Summon (more), Recommended Databases.
Website structure: 8 headings
Discovery: Bento box (Vufind, Worldcat, 20 EBSCO databases)
- National Library of Australia (Trove)
Discovery: Bento Box (Classic - Journal, articles and data sets - Music etc - Diaries etc - people and organisations - Picture etc - Newspapers - Maps - Archived websites - Lists)
May 14, 2013
April 17, 2013
- Portland State University Website structure: Resources | Research Help | Services | About LibraryDiscovery: Worldcat Local (being replaced by Primo of Orbis Cascade Alliance)
- University of Minnesota Website structure: Services | Find | About | HelpDiscovery: Primo
- Virginia Commonwealth University Website structure: Search Collections | Use the Library | Research Help | About the LibraryNew website design coming Jan 2014
- University of Miami Website structure: Books Articles CD/DVDs | Research | Libraries & Collections | Services | About | AccountsDiscovery: Summon
- UC Merced Website structure: About the Library | Resources | Tech Help | Contact Us (also On Display and Hours/Calendar)Discovery: Worldcat Local - Melvyl
- Deakin University Website structure: Study | Teach | Research | Access and Borrow | Campus Libraries | plus more)Discovery: EbscoDiscovery plus also Encore Synergy
- Stellenbosch University Website structure: Search | Services | How do I? | About Us (also Libraries category)
- Karolinska Institutet
Website structure: Customizable library homepage, never seen anything like this before.
- James Cook University library Website structure: Find - Learn - Connect - About (Also Get Help and News)Removing Library Jargon from our Home page - what Google Analytics tells us.
- University of British Columbia
Website structure: Search Collections - Hours & Locations - Use the Library - Get Research Help - About Us - Login
- Harvard Website structure: Search and Find - Research Support - Libraries and Archives -About Us - Help
Discovery: No (going to Primo/Alma), Articles default is Academic Search Premier.
- California (San Francisco)
Website structure: Collections & Resources - Classes, consulting & Help - Services - Visit
Discovery - Bento box (tabbed) - but no actual discovery product.
Website structure: Home | Search | Guides | Get Help - with multiple horizontal navigation bars under these
Discovery- VuFind and Summon (ie. Summon api within VuFind)
March 30, 2013
- How to Design Library Websites to Maximize Usability (2007 2nd edition) from Elsevier. Example websites are very dated now but much of the guidance is still relevant. In particular some gems:
"Organize information in multiple ways: Make it possible for users to find information by following a few clear paths. This increases the likelihood your users will be successful when using your library website".
"The biggest mistake library websites make is not giving enough space to the task 85% of people come to the sites for — finding research materials such as articles, books, journals etc."
- University of Texas (Austin) library website useability study (very recently done 2013)
- Thirteen Ways of Looking at Libraries, Discovery, and the Catalog: Scale, Workflow, Attention by Lorcan Dempsey
- 101 vital university library websites