All entries for Tuesday 30 January 2007
January 30, 2007
I've had 3 meetings so far this week in different departments and each one that I've been to the women in the meeting have done 'the quick up and down look', why are they doing this? I'm a woman too they shouldn't be doing this and I'm pretty certain women never used to do it.
My reasons for why they do are not earth shattering but they do include:
- the increased pressure from the fashion industry
- the increased pressure from the diet industry (this does really tie in with the 1st one)
- their need to reaffirm that they are better looking, thinner, better dressed, wear more expensive clothing etc. etc ad nauseum than the next person (again this all ties in to the 2 above)
Although these thoughts don't actually go through their head in that split second of looking you up and down, the points above just translate 2 ways depending on what type of day they are having, for example:
- At least I'm thinner than her
- That skirt, shirt, dress, shoes looks cheap
- I wouldn't have worn that with that
- That colour really doesn't suit her
- Did she look in the mirror this morning?
- God why has everyone got such a nice figure and I just look fat?
- she must get paid loads to afford those clothes
- I wish I could get away with wearing something like that
- That colour just wouldn't suit me
- I wish I hadn't looked in the mirror this morning...
How do I know this? I watch the expressions on their faces and read their mind or possibly I think these things too, however, I'm pretty certain I don't do the 'up and down' thing and I wish other women wouldn't too - it's not good and it just continues to feed your own insecurities if you are constantly measuring yourself against others - be who you are and be individual!!
OK now for the hard part...taking heed of my own advice....