All entries for Friday 30 March 2007
March 30, 2007
1. Update your blog every 10 minutes
2. Search for your favourite clips on youtube and watch them
3. Made eye contact with your officemates and catalyst some mindless conversation
4. Plan for your work then re-plan a couple of times until they sound perfect
5. Listen to your MP3s, close your eyes and imagine that you are on a beach in Barbados
6. Spend the rest of your free text by sending SMSs to your friends
7. Convince yourself that it’s Friday and you so need a break
8. Comment on every blog entry on warwick blog
9. Watch daytime telly and make notes of useful information on recipes, live quiz numbers, etc
10. Spell work backward (Krow) and update a wikipedia entry on what it means
OK there you go. Have fun haha
Carrying a doctorate research is not a trivial task. One might say that a phd candidate needs to be intelligent. Maybe a certain level of intelligence is needed but another can argue that it is all up to perseverence. The strength to move forward against all sorts of uphill struggles is indeed vital. Psychological strength? Emotional? Physical? I believe that a doctorate research is not only for the cream of the crops but it is for the strong-minded, the ones with strong determination, the ones who are not easily crushed by PhD doldrums… The mental health of doctorate candidates is a bit of a taboo. I’ve heard stories of manic depression, suicidal attempts (and success!!)... the list goes on.
I strongly believe that you should have something or someone to fall back to. In my case, I believe that my faith in God really helps me to move forward in my PhD. You might have different ways to handle rough situations in your PhD and its good to share them.
As a PhD candidate to another, keep the fire burning and lets be optimistic. Life is greater than just a PhD.