All entries for Monday 20 February 2006
February 20, 2006
An article I read last week discussed the merits of the male contraceptive 'pill', and it had me thinking. It turns out that the male contraceptive is not going to be as simple as the female one, and will involve an implant and regular injections. The early trials have had problems because very few man have volunteered to take part.
- Would a man be willing to take responsibility for contraceptives, particularly when it involves a relatively invasive procedure?
- Will women be willing to trust men with keeping up the medication regularly or being honest about whether they are protected, bearing in mind that it's the women who's left, literally, holding the baby?
- Do men feel strongly that they should have the chance to take responsilibity for their fertility, and have more options than just condoms?
- Do men feel that it's a woman's job to worry about such things and they shouldn't need to consider it?
- Will there be a stigma surrounding the treatment since it involves the release of a female hormone: will some men feel it would undermine their masculinity?