All entries for December 2005
December 19, 2005
Well, I'm back in Southampton now, and am keeping myself busy so as to have a good excuse to not work. So far I have:
- Played in a friend's concert. If he had told me beforehand how many organ recitals there were I may not have done though!
- Attempted to go for a quiet drink and catchup with a friend, but ended up bumping in to a few other musos in the pub and did the quiz with them. I don't think I've ever come last before, but at least we got our fee back!
- Drunk really dodgy beer, the only beer that could be found in my house, which had been sitting with the spirits for at least 10 years too many looking at the layers of dust on it (and the best before date!). I drank it as I guessed that it would just have got stronger, which probably happened considering how rough I felt Sunday morning, though that could just have been the bacteria that had grown in it.
- Played squash against a sporty friend who had hardly ever played before. He was almost better than me by the last game…
- Gone shopping for Christmas presents and found out quickly that I should have completed it at least a month ago… Anyone know where you can buy large plastic crisp bowls or a nice hanging wooden thing for a garden? I'm stumped!
Right, time to, erm, find more things to do to waste my time!
P.S. Didn't get in to Mars, I'll find out why on Wednesday but think it's probably something to do with the final interview I had with them… Ah well, IBM is still my first choice anyway.
December 15, 2005
Well, life has been very productive since I last blogged. I've done no work (of course), but I have:
- Got my phone back (hooray!)
- Had 2 more days at assessment centres in Slough where they fed me lots of chocolate, put me up in a hotel and gave some evil interviews
- Been to London and seen the Producers (good show, let down by the two leads), gone on the London Eye and seen my brother for the first time in around 6 months.
It's always interesting seeing Tim as he changes job too often for me to keep up, though everytime I see him he's one step closer to his ultimate goal of directing films. This time he's gone from being a researcher for a firm that is making a series about penis envy (don't ask…) to being a producer/director for Channel 4, working on a daily podcast that will be bought out sometime in the new year if the pilots continue to impress. I've seen a couple and they're pretty good; if any of you want to see one I have them on my computer.
Right, I'd best go and do my chores before heading back to Southampton tomorrow,
December 08, 2005
December 07, 2005
December 06, 2005
(If you don't have much time, skip to the end, important stuff there!)
As some of you may have known, I was doing an interview in Slough for Mars today, which didn't go too badly.
It's just everything else that's been $%@&#*!
- Firstly the TWM buses didn't turn up so I had to jump in a taxi to make it on time for the train…
- That turned out to be over an hour late, so I had to go via London instead which meant I had to…
- Change my ticket but the not-so-helpful man's machine wasn't working, but this was OK as…
- The London train was also very delayed, which would have been OK except…
- On the underground a poor woman fell down the escalator, which meant there was no way down and that I almost missed the last train to…
- Slough. What a dump.
Anyhow, the interview went OK except for the odd dodgy moment and I think I did alright in the psycometric tests, so I was in a pretty happy mood until on the tube on the way home, when I realised that I'd been pick-pocketed and my phone had been nicked. Bugger.
Well, I've now cancelled my phone and since I'm coming up to the end of my contract anyway it's not too bad, I'll just have to go phone shopping tomorrow instead of working on my project.
The real problem will be phone numbers though: I haven't backed up my phone's memory since last Christmas (whoops), so if anyone has given me their number or changed number since then please e-mail me with it!
Thanks a lot, and I hope you had a better day than me,
Edit: All better now, see above
December 02, 2005
Finding out that I'm getting a double bass drum pedal for Christmas! I can finally do a hard-rock version of the Floral Dance!
(Disclaimer: This is a very unusual blog for me to write, kind of surprised I'm even thinking about doing it…)
I'm feeling quite low at the moment though I'm not quite sure why. It could be because I have hardly any money left, could be because I won't be drumming for a long time, could be because lots of people are going home soon, or could be because of another reason/a bit of everything.
As those who know me probably realise this is quite an unusual state for me to be in. It was so bad earlier that some people noticed I was looking a little down, and I even caught myself not smiling!
Ah well, I'm sure it will all get better soon, but I thought I'd just get it off my chest – what else is a blog like this for? (well, except for announcing you're losing leg hair, doing pointless quizzes and advertising shows!).
On the plus side: at least I did a wicked solo in Sway today, in my humble (slightly-biased) opinion at least!