All entries for April 2016
April 05, 2016
We heard today that we had caught another early Myzus persicaei in the suction trap at Wellesbourne - on 25th March!
Our traps were checked this morning and there were 4 carrot flies (3 traps).
In the water traps (3) there were:
- 3 male and 2 female cabbage root flies
- 165 bean seed flies
- 146 pollen beetles
- 8 cabbage stem weevils
- 4 flea beetles
April 04, 2016
April 01, 2016
The first edition of AHDB Aphid news is here. The general message is that aphids will be flying considerably earlier than normal.
To recap with regard to vegetable and salad pests:
- A single peach–potato aphid (Myzus persicae) was caught at Wellesbourne during the week 22-28 February.
- Another very early appearance of a crop aphid is the capture of four willow-carrot aphids (Cavariella aegopodii) (1 Wellesbourne 1st -7th February, 2 at Kirton 17/3 and 25/3 and 1 Broom’s Barn 22/3).
- The shallot aphid (Myzus ascalonicus) is the most numerous aphid species in suction-trap samples to date and has been caught at Starcross, Devon all the way up to York.
- Yellow water-pan traps are not yet in operation.