All 1 entries tagged Sonic And The Secret Rings
No other Warwick Blogs use the tag Sonic And The Secret Rings on entries | View entries tagged Sonic And The Secret Rings at Technorati | There are no images tagged Sonic And The Secret Rings on this blog
March 15, 2007
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Follow-up to Excite Truck from The randomness of tomorrow, today!
Sonic and the Secret Rings arrived a couple of days after my last post, and I've got sufficiently far though it now to give more than first impressions:
- The stages are beatuiful and the graphics are very impressive for a console that didn't set out to have amazing graphics.
- The voice acting is, as you'd probably expect, aweful.
- The "worlds most dramatic pinky swear"* scene is painful.
- It's annoying that it's an RPG - Sonic starts out with an acceleration of 0ms-2 and you have to gain experience to unlock skills and increase his speed.
- Constantly running forwards automatically makes it harder to deal with sudden enemies.
- The Wiimote-thrust for dashing is awkward - a button would be better.
- The "steering" is only just responsive enough to cope with quick movements (and then only after you get the add-on to make side-to-side better) so you're likely to hit things if you're timing is off by less than with normal controls.
- Apparently the Red-Steel-esq cut scenes are styled that way to show it's technically a book, unfortunately it makes it seem like they were lazy...
- On a positive note, it's certainly a step in the right direction - the primary goal of the 2D games of getting to the end in as little time with as many rings is certainly present, but there's still a long way to go.
- And finally: HOW YOU JUMP IS ONE OF THE WORST IDEAS IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF VIDEO GAMES. Seriously. The person who though of it should be dragged out into the street and hit with something; possibly a Wiimote, since they're suprisingly sturdy and it would be appropriate...