All 2 entries tagged Grand Theft Auto
No other Warwick Blogs use the tag Grand Theft Auto on entries | View entries tagged Grand Theft Auto at Technorati | There are no images tagged Grand Theft Auto on this blog
May 22, 2008
So I gave in to temptation on Tuesday and bought Grand Theft Auto IV. It cost a little over £200 with all the extras I needed to play it... which was basically the Xbox 360.
The game is, of course, fantastic. It really is a brilliant game. I also have to say that I'm quite impressed with the console itself, too. Microsoft seem to have done a much better job with it than they do with Windows...
I still remember the first time I saw an original Xbox; it was in Currys. I'd just rounded a corner and literally did a double take; I glanced at the display stand, looked away, and then looked back in genuine surprise at how massive the damn thing was.
I knew the 360 was slightly smaller than the original, but it's still huge. I mean its transformer alone almost dwarfs my Wii:
It's huge! Also, for completeness, the size comparison between the two consoles themselves:
The controller is the only part of it that's a normal size:
I assume this is because the controller is designed to fit in your hands, whereas the 360 is designed to fit in your house...
So, overall, I'm quite impressed. My only complaint so far is that the 360 doesn't come with wireless; I'm having to wait a couple of days to acquire a cable to get it online.
May 07, 2008
When I was still at Uni, one of my housemates had a PS2 and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. It was the first GTA I'd played, and I really enjoyed it. He'd acquired it from a friend who'd already completed it, and I had no end of fun just driving around, exploring the world, and spawning countless Harrier Jump Jets (Triangle, Triangle, Square, Circle, X, L1, L1, Down, Up).
This leads me on to Grand Theft Auto IV...
I own neither an Xbox 360 nor a PlayStation 3, and I also don't particular feel the need to buy them. However, GTA IV looks really good. I don't have enough spare cash at the moment to buy one anyway, but GTA IV still looks really good.As I mentioned in a comment on my console poll, looking at the responses so far (13 - I miscounted for the comment):
- Everyone that prefers the Wii only owns the Wii
- Everyone that prefers the PlayStation 3 doesn’t have an Xbox 360 (they may have a Wii)
- Everyone who owns an Xbox 360 (some own all three) prefers the Xbox 360
- One person doesn’t own any, but still prefers the Xbox 360. Presumably a friend has one...
This leads me on to my main point:
Why, if I were going to buy either, I would buy an Xbox 360
The main problem I have with the Xbox is that it's from Microsoft, and I'm not a big fan of Microsoft. But GTA IV looks really good. So, on to the list...
- When the PlayStation was first released, there were some demo units in one of the central sections of the MetroCentre. I can't remember exact details, because it was of course several years ago, but I got a poor first impression.
- The main problem I have with the PlayStation is the symbols; I just cannot quickly recall which symbol is where (I remember the code I mentioned above as "Top Top Left Right Bottom etc." - the actual symbols don't enter into it). I tried playing a game on the aforementioned PS2 that required you to quickly press certain buttons, and I couldn't do it; for some reason I just can't recall the positions of the symbols anywhere near as quickly as I can recall the position of letter-labelled buttons. And that is where the Xbox wins over the PlayStation for me: it uses letters, and past experience has shown that I have no problems using a controller with letters.
- The Xbox 360 has achievement points. It's a somewhat minor point, but in discussions comparing 360 and PS3 games the achievements are often cited as a decent enough way of extending the life of a game.
I'm sure that was at least one more, but I can't remember what it was...