All 1 entries tagged E Numbers
No other Warwick Blogs use the tag E Numbers on entries | View entries tagged E Numbers at Technorati | There are no images tagged E Numbers on this blog
May 18, 2008
It always amuses me when people complain about all the E Numbers in food; everything (well, a lot of things...) has an E Number... even the good stuff. For instance:
- E175 is one of the most sought after substances on the planet, it is widely used as a form of currency, and is pretty to boot. E175 is Gold.
- E300 is Vitamin C.
- E260 is Acetic acid, which is what makes vinegar vinegar.
- E500 is bicarbonate of soda.
- E948 is literally (and I am using that in entirely the correct sense with zero hyperbole) vital to your very survival. You literally could not live without E948, because it's Oxygen.
- E290 is produced naturally by your body. Admittedly Carbon Dioxide has a lot of bad press, but still...
- E181 is naturally present in tea and wine (particularly red), and it what makes them taste the way they do. E181 is Tannin.
There are bound to be more, but it's a big list...
The point of the codes is that they are shorter than the actual names and take up less space on packaging; they are not a means to identify evil things.