All 2 entries tagged Code
May 18, 2008
It always amuses me when people complain about all the E Numbers in food; everything (well, a lot of things...) has an E Number... even the good stuff. For instance:
- E175 is one of the most sought after substances on the planet, it is widely used as a form of currency, and is pretty to boot. E175 is Gold.
- E300 is Vitamin C.
- E260 is Acetic acid, which is what makes vinegar vinegar.
- E500 is bicarbonate of soda.
- E948 is literally (and I am using that in entirely the correct sense with zero hyperbole) vital to your very survival. You literally could not live without E948, because it's Oxygen.
- E290 is produced naturally by your body. Admittedly Carbon Dioxide has a lot of bad press, but still...
- E181 is naturally present in tea and wine (particularly red), and it what makes them taste the way they do. E181 is Tannin.
There are bound to be more, but it's a big list...
The point of the codes is that they are shorter than the actual names and take up less space on packaging; they are not a means to identify evil things.
April 02, 2006
Update (19th May 2006): The competition is now closed, and Max Dymond was the winner
I'm bored, so I did this:
Wd thmj gt npd gmpmptamt tgat pdmpjd pgmtjd gdt dmjmwmdmt mu md tgdgp datmtpgtd dmpm md dwdpagpd; pmwgmg, ptngmg, jtmpgmg, mp – gm Pamtjamd – tgpmwgmg gdatw thmgp bmu gm tgd waw tgat njw Pamtpmdm bm tmeqtamd
And while it may look like meaningless garbage, it is in fact perfectly meaningful coded garbage. It's also a quotation, so the views expressed in it are not necessarily my own; it just amuses me…
Anyway, whoever decodes this first, and posts the answer either in a comment or a trackback, wins a J2O next term (as such, this is only open to people at Warwick).
No Purchase Necessary, Terms & Conditions Apply.
1. This competition is open to all current members of the University of Warwick aged minus infinity to plus infinity, inclusive, excluding all employees of richardwinskill.co.uk, their family, pets, infectious diseases, and tandem bicycles.
2. No bees
3. No purchase necessary; post solution in a comment or a trackback.
4. The first correct answer received will win the prize.
5. If a J2O cannot be found, we reserve the right to substitute something else.
6. mmmmm! pie
7. This competition is not affiliated with anyone it's not affiliated with.
8. Prepositions are words you should not end sentences with.
9. Any other terms and conditions I think of later also apply