All entries for April 2008
April 30, 2008
Writing about web page http://revver.com/video/865965/affiliate/194516/i-have-a-problem-with-creationism-part-1/
The words of the Ten Thirteen Productions slide from the X-Files credits come to mind: "I made this!"
April 22, 2008
Everyone will know that you can search Google for a word, and I should hope that everyone will know that you can search Google for multiple words. Fewer people will know that you can tell Google to omit certain words. When we compare these three methods, it shows that Google either doesn't work properly, or doesn't work as we think it does.
Allow me to demonstrate:
At the time of writing, there are about 9,630,000 results for "scientology", and there are about 746,000 results for "scientology -cult" ("Scientology" without the word "cult"). Now, logically, we would therefore assume that "scientology cult" would return the remaining 8,884,000 pages, but instead it gives only about 1,100,000.
What I can't figure out, is what happened to the 7,784,000 pages that neither contain nor do not contain the word "cult"...
I was in town yesterday, and I noticed a bus with an advert for the army.
I'd noticed them before, and I'd seen the ads on TV, but it only occurred to me at that moment: there is a very good chance that that bus is going to cause someone to be killed; by having that poster on the side of their buses, there is a high chance that Arriva, and no doubt other bus companies, will be indirectly responsible for the murder of one or more people.
That doesn't seem right to me...
April 20, 2008
I love it.
Writing about web page http://vpi.net/
- It appears to be entirely Flash-based. This is a bad thing:
- I can't middle click on anything; well, I can but it achieves nothing. If I want to open a link in a new tab, dammit, who are you to stop me?
- My scroll wheel doesn't work in the sections that have scroll bars.
- The "Request a quote" button keeps animating. This is annoying; I don't want a damn quote, and no amount of swooshing is going to change my mind.
- When I point at "Our Work", some more links slide into view. When I move down to "Clients", the options disappear and I end up pointing at "Our Demo"...
- Pages take too long to load; without flash I'd at least be able to read some text while images continued loading.
- Loading new Flash pages doesn't appear to trigger Firefox's progress bar, so it looks like nothing's happening when i look at the place I usually look to see if anything's happening.
- Since the content never stands still, there is no guarantee that the Home page does not clearly identify what the company actually does.
- If you disable Flash, the plain text version that replaces the Flash one is rather boring. If they hadn't used Flash in the first place, the "proper" website would be interesting. It also isn't even finished...
- There's probably more, but I'm sick of the website...
Also I can't see any prices anywhere; not even "ballpark" figures. I don't want to "request a quote"; I want concrete or rough figures now.
(I feel I should point out that I have nothing against Flash itself; when used as part of a webpage (as with YouTube and their videos) it's fine. The problem comes when the entire website is Flash.)
* There is only one main point; everything that's wrong with the website stems from that one mistake.
April 19, 2008
The long-awaited, much-anticipated sequel to TROTT's Campaign for Political Correctness 3: TROTT's Campaign for Political Correctness 4!
Please Note: this instalment is a slightly different format: three alternatives are presented, and you may choose the third one... I mean, "whichever you prefer".
Vista/XP* doesn't suck, OS X is just better.
OS X Sucks
OS X doesn't suck, Vista/XP* is just better.
Vista/XP* and OS X Both Suck
Vista/XP* and OS X don't both suck, Linux just wipes the floor with them.
Stay tuned for Part 5... at some point in the future... maybe.
* Delete as appropriate.
Similar to Wikipedia Whispers, but using YouTube's Related Videos. To play, one chooses a video on YouTube (any video will do - even a random one), then you just choose Related Videos and see how quickly you can reach a video the seems totally unrelated to the original article. For example:
- Discovery Channel The world is just awesome commercial - An advert for Discovery Channel. (It has Stephen Hawking and the Mythbusters!)
- A car that runs 200 miles on compressed air - Piece about a French guy that developed a car that runs on compressed air.
- Compressed Air Powered Go Cart 2 - Exactly what it sounds like. The second of three videos, apparently.
- Crazy go-kart jump - A go-kart jump whose success depends on your point of view...
- brother flipping go-kart - Drink driving in a go-kart.
- street racing - Another "Ronseal" video*....
- Police VS Street Racer [Greatest Police Chase] - Police chase from a helicopter.
- Ghost Car Vanishes During Police Chase !!! wow ! - Ghost Car... yeah, right...
- Ghost Car - The video of the car on the winding road with the zombie jumping out at the end.
- scary - Another stupid "jump out and say 'boo!'" video.
- The Matrix Movie Mistakes - Matrix bloopers.
So there we are, "The Earth is wonderful" to "the Earth is fake" in 11 videos...
April 13, 2008
April 12, 2008
Writing about web page http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/7344045.stm
I wholeheartedly support Mrs Reid's actions; I find it absolutely disgusting that houses are still demolished to make way for building projects, and I can think of no better way to get that point across.
It is an archaic and irrational process, and I seriously worry about the mental state of anyone who thinks it's a good idea to demolish someone's home for something as frivolous as fucking football or a damned supermarket.