All entries for Monday 26 March 2007
March 26, 2007
"BBC defends early Easter filming
Writing about web page http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6494831.stm
I've just come across an article on BBC News about the BBC receiving criticism for filming their Easter Special of Songs of Praise at Christmas. I mean, come on! Do these people really think they film everything at the time?
Several newspapers have accused the BBC of "tricking" fans of Songs of Praise, just weeks after Blue Peter apologised for faking the result of a competition in November.
Because, of course, those two events are exactly the same - on the one hand, you have standard industry practice that is economical, harmless and an intelligent use of resources; and on the other hand, you have people lying about the very nature of a competition. I certainly can't see a difference between them...
I feel, as a public service, that I need to point out a few things to these people that are up in arms about the fact the show was filmed months ago:
- The TARDIS doesn't really travel through time - it's just a box, it doesn't even had the console inside it; that's a set.
- When game show hosts say "See you next week", 'next week' is probably filmed a few minutes later.
- KITT from Knight Rider couldn't really drive himself - it was a man hidden in the modified driver's seat, which was a clever way to do it because 'Michael' (who is really David Hasselhoff) could just jump in the car and take over without anything fancy happening.
- Crop Circles aren't aliens; they're guys with planks and too much time on their hands. I mean what kind of stupid alien race would design ships with such complicated undersides? They'd all have "teleporters" anyway...
- A scene from (I believe) Attack of the Clones was actually filmed during Phantom Menace because it would save them having to go back out the the location. (Maybe you should complain to them, too?)
- The Lord of the Rings films weren't actually in Middle Earth - they were in New Zealand.
- I'm not actually writing this - I have a small team of an infinite number of monkeys to whom I dictate. Eventually they come up with the blog entry...
I could go on, but I won't...