All entries for Tuesday 07 February 2006
February 07, 2006
Monday, or Sunday?!
- go.warwick.ac.uk/timetable says Monday…
- Student Cinema says Sunday
- My gut instinct always says Sunday…
- Week 10 Finishes on a Saturday (so what happened to Sunday between 10&11)
- RaW's minidisc-booking sheet starts on a Saturday! (Thanks Chris Doidge!)
…more examples welcome
Writing about web page http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/paulstacey
OK, bringing up to speed with this project:
- Now using Moodle, for many reasons. Listing that below this list.
- Working to get Shibboleth login to the project (this should allow integration with the WSOS)
- Going to simulate timetable interpretation from the system (BSV tables are available; write a program to interpret these!)
- "Penguin" folder to be created, in order to put our custom front page. This will be moved as the project progresses.
- Term Dating now begun (see next post!)
Reasons why I'm using Moodle now:
- PHP is faster to develop with, yet scalable (Moodle is being used for the open university, see here: Large Moodle Installations
- Personally, much more comfortable with PHP
- Java was taking more time than I could commit to understand existing open source projects
- No point in re-inventing the wheel
- Moodle has more documentation (the current open source JSP solutions seem to want to have you hire them, funny that)
- More suited to Department of Computer Science's needs (the LMSs in JSP were designed for university-wide use, and separation wasn't possible because of the security grainings)
- Downside: Non-transactional database commital using mySQL at the moment.
- Downside: Variable protection is not so "hot" in PHP. A big issue, but the guidelines for moodle should stop variable transferrance. Also, splitting into classes helps!
- Greater integration with existing systems possible