On Friday 20/8/04, I had a meeting with Rob O'Toole, the Arts E-Learning Advisor, and Red Chan of CTCCS. My objectives for the meeting were to access the capability of Sitebuilder and university webspace to meet the requirements of the Poconet mandate, support we would receive from E-labs in the development of the website, the convergence of the research network with the faculty's own E-learning objectives. Finally I hoped to request an entry in Warwick Forums for the development team to post updates and hold discussions online.The outcomes of the meeting were as follows:
- E-Labs are moving towards a dissassembly of department ownership of university webspace and towards individual student control, hence the initiatives for blogging and more informal structures such forums
- As a consequence, E-labs have or are developing all of the web architecture we anticipate Poconet will require. This includes the support of multimedia.
- RO is williing to apportion some of his schedule to Poconet support
- RO has set up forums for CTCCS, Poconet (to be embedded on the website) and Poconet development.
Actions:* I will start a team blog for Poconet development so we can post
messages, archive meeting reports, web links and any other updates
- We will supply RO with our compiled lists of tech. requirements, as we plan content and site hierarchy
- I will get SB training and contact Karen Mortimer at E-labs. I will arrange for training for members of the development team on blogs and forums
- I will introduce Poconet to new Arts Fac grad students at induction session on 30/9/04
Overall, this was a very positive meeting which highlighted the convergence between our own impulse towards integrated, shared research, democratic knowledge infrastructures and the directions being followed by E-labs and the university.