All entries for Saturday 18 February 2012
February 18, 2012
According to me some of the important properties of a Leader are as follows:
2. Power to listen
3. Communiation skills
4. Control over personnel emotions / anger
5. Not afraid to admit a mistake
6. Ready to take responsibility of any mistake or failure by the team
7. Gives credit to the team for the team acheivements.
8. Leads from the front - walks the talk
9. Trains and helps team members to overcome their weakness
11. Has a Plan
Well its time to board the plane ( I am at the airport). All are requested to add to the above list and make sure that all properties required to be a good leader are captured.
IT was the last day of the LE module and we had another learning game. I held my self back from being the leader as I wanted to play the role of the follwer and see how I would perform.
Things were at a stage were the team had almost hit a dead end. Everybody was giving suggestion (including me) and the leader was feeling the strees. I found myself doing nothing and thought of helping the team by going to the co-ordinator and getting some doubts clarified. During the breifing (after the exercise), the team informed me that I should have asked the leader before I went to the co-ordinator. BUt I was acting (in my mind) in the benifit of the team. While the team was aprissing me, I was thinking how do I feel when one of my subordinates goes direct to my senior and does not inform me about it - I feel bad. May be that subordinate is acting for the benifit of the team.
I think by not being the leader I did the right thing as I learnt what I wanted to.
1. Always take care that your actions do not hurt (unknowingly) anyone's feelings - even if you think you are acting in the benifit of that person or team.
2. I should not feel bad if any of my subordinates goes direct to my senior - he may be acting in the intrests of the team.
3. For a team to be successful there should be free communication and Synergy between the leader and team members.