"It's over it's over it's over" As I sit here in Samuel W. Brassington's clothes it feels as though a great weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Our 'Medea' practical assessment is complete!
We arrived at 9 o'clock this morning and I began minor alterations to the set as well as a general tidy up of the acting circle as it was covered in brick dust. After this we had to wait a moment or two for the chorus to finish with their makeup and so on before we could begin a run through and a tech. I took this moment to label the lighting desk as to which channel did what, this was because the other group had already set some channels up (although the didnt tell us which ones, we hope we didnt change anything) and I wanted to make sure those channels werent lit up accidently .
The first run through was more than satisfactory as it was our 1st ever run through. Some brief changes regarding positioning and lighting (as well as projector modifications) were made to add an extra level of shine to the whole thing. The problem with our performance is it relied heavily on audience positioning that was impossible to forsee so we knew some improvisations would have to be performed for the actual performance.
I feel I wasnt as helpful to the group as I could have been during the performance as I had the 'sheet thrower' job. It was nice to get a birds eye view of the whole thing but I feel I didn't pull my weight enough during the performance, although I hope my work on the film and the whole teching side of things will tilt the scales to neutral.
In the final minutes before the performance, everything (as usual) went wrong, one of the sheets on the top of the booths fell off so I got the ladder and made running repairs, at the excact same time, two of the chorus' masks broke so I ran to Kate's office to make last minute repairs, reulting in a staple all the way in my finger (yes it hurt, but the show must go on) but I pulled it out and ran to position.
The performance itself went very well, despite a few audience misplacements (i.e. Our own Geraldine Cousin standing too far forward and missing the whole shadow show) This however was an unforeseen planning error and nobody's fault in particular, the whole of the chorus and the chaperones Ian and Hannah C. Tovey did very well to recover the situation by moving the audience to where they wanted them to be. Apart from Ricardo's accidental dropping of the lens cap (onto a girl may I add, inkeeping with the whole piece) the whole thing ran smoothly and I feel it was a successful piece of theatre.
From this experience I learnt that it is possible to make theatre with a large group of people by breaking up into smaller groups. I was worried that the seperation would result in a cluttered and unorganised piece of theatre but this was far from the case. Can I thank everybody in the cast, it has been a complete pleasure. There has been a band amongst brothers (but not sisters as that wasnt the point of the piece) formed, and I'm proud with what we made.
Also a special thanks to Hugh Denard for the total creative freedom given to us, and also I would like to thank Nick and Sam (2nd year) for their help with the editing, without them we'd still be scratching our heads at the computer.