All entries for April 2010
April 25, 2010
Keep Updating Knowledge
Knowledge Management is about surviving success of organisation in terms of the market that organisation is in and its competitors that organisation should improve its competitiveness in my opinion. This is also possible with highly motivated, supported and coached employee by Leader.
Think a company that has not much idea about new technology, the changing economical, social and political life in the global world or organisation having problem to adapt itself to those changes throughout its structure. The final thought about that company would be the out of updated world and out of competitiveness.
However, knowledge management offers a highly effective guide to the organisations about how to use, share and manage the knowledge which is exist in the somewhere in the world. Therefore, first organisation understands its own structure and transforms itself by adapting to globalisation and second become highly competitive organisation compare its competitor in the market. So organisation how to understand its own structure? Probably the answer to this would be effective leadership support. As long as leader understands the system that he/she is in and establishes a learning organisation, organisation understands its own structure. The starting point would be the departmental relation improvement. Because it appears that many organisation today having problem in their processes due to incorrect information and knowledge between departments or knowledge and information are not being shared between departments at all. Furthermore most of the CEO has no any idea that this is happening in the organisation. The second problem then occurs that organisation starts far to update itself due to changing global world. People in the organisation while struggling to complete the activities, they are not be aware of new technology or new economical, social or political situation. Therefore the knowledge that required to competitive with other players is not getting in to organisation to improve itself.
Thus, finally company losing its power to first inside the organisation and then outside of the organisation according to its competitors and to global world. However as I have said company by managing the knowledge not only survive, it is also become and maintain its competitiveness in the market.
As I have identified general aspect of the why knowledge management needs for organisation would provide a basis to identify deep understanding before start to analyse overall knowledge management importance for my PMA as well.
Assets Management Allignment
As I have realised that Asset Management is kind of heart of the company that should be managed meticulously by supporting activities of organisation. Beside the company benefits it is also significantly important in terms of customer satisfaction to provide satisfaction product/service.
Asset management is very broad subject that may not be possible talk about each asset management benefits. However I can try to identify general benefits.
· Facility Management is very effective for manufacturing area to save the costs by providing consistency, maintenance, training depends on the needs in the throughout company. This also lead the company to increase the employee productivity beside itself optimisation.
· Security is responsible vide area throughout company such as from machines to plant area to make sure that physical security (such as CCTV, special security patrol for organisation etc… ) and virtual security (such as network for computers, special codes/passwords for authorised person throughout the company, etc…) is under control.
· Health and Safety is provides healthy working environment to the people in the organisation and make sure that everyone is working under safety regulations and also it steps in if any injury or illness situation to provide right treatment. Thus employee feel confidence that if any physically injured or to be ill, company will provide support depends on the nature of situation. Thus parallel with company productivity, employee morale is increased.
· Environmental Management is about management of buildings, equipment and materials. Thus utilising resources that extent the life of assets, reduce the waste (lean management would be good example). It is also considering green life by taking care of environmental situation and providing green solution.
· Life Cycle Management is about the sustaining development. It considers the environmental, social, economic impact of product through its life cycle. Thus, reduce product’s resources use and emissions to environment with improving socio-economic performance through its life cycle.
· Maintenance is about continuously improvement of its activities/process of organisation and thus, prevents to reduce number of maintenance requirements of company. This provides huge benefits to company assets such as reliability, safety, product quality, healthy working environment, long life cycle in terms of assets and cost saving.
As I have identified some of the asset management every each asset management has significantly addressing wide areas in the organisation by providing their significant supports. It appears that assets management not important in terms of business but also important for employee as well. Thus, those facilities of assets management lead the company to success. However, companies may need to use software to implement the asset management, because assets management may consists the complex task. IT software can be helpful to create cross departmental relation by providing opportunity to support and encourage the team work between departments. It is also provide a ground to establish an alignment in the organisation to effectively manage the assets.
As I have analysed the general concepts of Assets Management, it appears that every company should have satisfactory knowledge about how to manage its assets. Different departments in the organisation may not be aware of each tasks or processes in the organisation and how to manage their own assets (such as computers security and safety). However to manage overall organisation assets there should be an alignment in the organisation to get well managed to overall assets.
Therefore I am more aware of those situations now and I have knowledge about how to manage the assets effectively. As I will keep continue to improve myself regards to assets management, I would also provide better working life both for myself and for my organisation.
April 20, 2010
Are you Aware of … ?
I am now thinking that whether I lived with awareness at every level of my life or not? Probably the answer will be no. As I have gave the example today in class from my car accident in Cyprus teach me very good lesson. Initially I had no driving experience in right side of the road before go to Cyprus and I was not aware the situation about how to drive in right side and how to adapt myself to do that, if some bad things happen what would I do?
· Initially when I went to Cyprus I should have got training to learn how to drive and allocate some adaptation time.
· Every country may have different rules and regulations for driving in its road and may require different driving skill to drive and so on.
Those are couple lessons which have learned from my bad experience which I am aware now. However this particular situation is also same for the organisations that they should also aware from its employee that if employee is now what's going on around.
Awareness of the situation is vital for the employee in the organisation. As we discussed today employee may not be aware his/her situation about what’s going on around especially in terms of health and safety. Therefore companies should train them to make them be aware the importance of the work that what they do day to day. However as we have suggested effective leadership can be solution besides the training as well.
Fortunately I have got my lessons learned point after the accident and now I know what I am doing and where I am heading for my day life and career path as well. Sometimes bad experiences provide a basis to think better but the trick is to see something (aware something) before having bad experience. I am now aware of my life at all level therefore I am in WMG right now.
Kowledge Management and Learning Organisation
As we conduct the seminar topic about the How does leadership impact KM effectiveness, provide me a ground to rethink from different perspective the topic. In my opinion Leadership lead the people in the organisation to produce an effective knowledge sharing environment. However the discussion in the seminar triggered me to focus also at the end, leadership would also cause to transform the organisation into a learning organisation.
A strong leadership is able to create a strong organisational culture which can be basis of organisational learning. However, the most significant part to have strong leadership skills for leader may be the understanding people psychology. As Deming stressed every people has different learning skills from each other might be a good example that a strong leader should understand this and establish a learning environment by sharing knowledge overall organisation.
The other point is two types of motivation are exist in literature which are intrinsic source person who gets pure joy from an act or extrinsic sources such as bonuses and grading system. This is probably the parting of the ways for the people two separate ways. Some people may think that bonus or promotion is always necessary for motivation of employee and his productivity. The others think that without promotion or bonus employee should have pride of success inside of himself/herself which I am also advocating it. As long as leader understand the difference between two types of motivation and create a working environment for employee to joy while he/she is working, intrinsic motivation will take a position between employees to share knowledge and help to leader to transform organisation into a learning organisation. Thus knowledge management takes very significant place to be learning organisation in terms of effective leader.
This is what I have captured from end of the seminar (in terms of organisational learning) after rethink again about leadership contribution to the KM. This gate might open new gates to identify new features to analyse and use if possible for my future profession career or provide ambiance to more discussion in my blog.