Why is a team leader important?
Writing about web page Leadership and Excellence
Having a leader in the group has changed the group dynamics a lot. The previous groups where there was no leader was very different as compared to the current group in which we have a leader. Following are the differences I have noticed while working in a team with a leader.
- Proper direction is chosen and given by the leader
- Leader tries to get all team members to participate
- The goals of each meeting are set before the meeting
- Every voice is heard and conflicts are reduced due to the leader creating a sense of harmony within the team
- Delegation of tasks is very effective
- Feedback given and received from team leader motivates the team as a whole
Prior to this when we worked without a leader, there were some members of the group who wanted to take the leaders position, however it was not possible since it could result in conflict. When the leader is chosen within a team, it signifies that one person is superior who has the ability to make decisions. This gives the team a sense of direction, but only if the leader has certain qualities. The most important one is to move with the team, not ahead of the team nor lag behind. It is the leaders responsibility to ensure each and every team member is keeping up with what is going on. In addition, each member must feel that they are valuable. If this is done, it will be very easy for the leader to tap into the inner person of the team member and get the most out of him.