All 1 entries tagged Writing
View all 245 entries tagged Writing on Warwick Blogs | View entries tagged Writing at Technorati | There are no images tagged Writing on this blog
October 20, 2010
Breaking my duck
My first ever blog entry by Nicola Jones aged 42 & 3/4
What I would like to achieve with my writing
The big plan is to develop my writing skills so that I can tackle writing articles to support my business. I am told that speaking and writing are two very powerful marketing tools.
Part of me thinks that I should just be able to knock out appropriate material, and I do have a lot of ideas. But I do know that whatever buzz I get from writing well, publishing makes the author vulnerable to criticism, and maybe just vulnerable full stop. So, I have to get over that inhibition. If I could do that I would have achieved a lot.
I was a bit worried about doing this course, because I do tend to think I have to be qualified before I can do anything. In all honesty though, I will benefit from a structured approach to the topic and from getting feedback from Sally and other students.
Strengths & Weaknesses
Things I need to work on are;
- getting started!
- giving myself adequate time to edit/re-write
- over-coming feelings of inhibition and doubt about what I write, maybe by finding ways of testing it out with informed people
- stylistically, I am not sure as yet, because this form of writing is new to me. I haven't met the 5 Ws and the H before. I guess the challenge is to make the writing engaging whilst getting in the content.
Things that might help me are;
- having some experience of writing structured material, both as an advocate and a trainer
- having worked in an environment where the audience, whether judge or jury, were key to determining the style of the piece
- spending my current working life being driven by learning outcomes, so having the effect of my work very much in mind at the outset
- a love of words
- a desire to communicate
Here we go!