BlogBuilder update: New designs
If your blog looks wrong, try doing a forced refresh (pressing CTRL and F5 together) or restarting your browser
There has been a new release of BlogBuilder with several improvements and fixes:
New Markup / CSS
Andy Ingram has created new markup and CSS for blogs pages now. You may need to press Ctrl-F5 in your browser (a forced refresh) to make sure you have the latest stylesheets.
Included in this:
- HTML rearranged to put entries before the sidebar, gives improved accessibility and search engine results
- Fixed various issues of content dropping below the sidebar
- Left-floated images should no longer drop into the entries below
- Utility Bar appears correctly in Opera 7
- The background image in the header of all blog styles should now be visible in Internet Explorer
- The whole banner area (except utility bar) is now part of the link back to your overall blog view
- Removed opacity effects from various blog styles to allow more consistancy between browsers
- Most blog styles tweaked in some way for browser consistency
- Galleries should now be more readable (no more white on white)
- The bluegreen2 style is completely redone
- New style: black 2
- New style: puce
- New style: swift1
- Favourites markup improved and styled to suit each individual blog style better
- Existing styles don't appear exactly the same as before, if you feel an important part of the style has been overlooked or changed, please don't hesitate to mention it.
New Blogs Search
New Blog Search has now been implemented into the front page and the sidebar. When you start typing in, search results will appear immediately below the box, and then you can click on any of the results or on "more results" (or press enter) to get to the posts you want.
Search works better if you're logged in, because if you're logged in then it will search protected posts as well.
- Tags: You can now select which tags you want to display on your sidebar, or how many of your top tags to display, and also display a list of untagged entries if you please.
- Tag Selection: You can now click on a number of suggested tags when making an entry
- Comment Spam: When a non-logged in user tries to make a comment on your blog, they must answer an arbritrary question (by default, "What colour is an orange?") – this has allowed us to set the default commenting permissions back to "Anyone", which should make the WGA people "well chuffed".
- My Comments: By default, your "My Comments" page now sorts by the date of the most recent comment on the entry, not the date of your most recent comment. You can still sort by the old format if desired.
- Comment Information: When you're trying to make a comment, you can see a padlock next to the "COMMENTS" title which will tell you who has permission to comment - this will allow you to see easily why you're not allowed to comment (did you forget to login?) or if your own entries are accidentally locked (or unlocked)
- Book/DVD/CD/Game Reviews: You can now attach a custom picture and URL to a Book, DVD, CD or Game review just like with Movie and TV reviews, so you could quite easily make Gig Reviews under the guise of a Music review and they would appear under the "Music Review" entry type.
- Top Tags: The top tags page is now weighted differently; it will weight tags that appear on several blogs much, much higher than those that appear on a single blog. Also, the Top Tags page now only shows tags used in the past month by default, in order to show popular issues at the present time.
- Miscellaneous: When on a tag page, you can now see the actual entry and image counts being displayed and how many are available on the other links. The "Tag" counter on the front page now only shows the number of unique tags. Tag counts in the sidebar no longer take into account draft entries.
- Image Editing: You can now edit your images again. Sorry about that.
- Tag Selector: You can also use the up/down arrows in your entries again. Again, sorry…