All 10 entries tagged Mmmm Lovely
No other Warwick Blogs use the tag Mmmm Lovely on entries | View entries tagged Mmmm Lovely at Technorati | There are no images tagged Mmmm Lovely on this blog
October 12, 2005
Writing about web page http://earth.google.com/
Seriously, I really can.
how much fun is this!
Mildly disturbing, but still fun. Looks to be pretty up to date too. Actually this is really creepy, I can see my bedroom and since when is our car yellow? and oh my god they've got a pool! I didn't know they had a pool!!! I am sooo out of the gossip loop…
Unfortunately the resolution of Earlsdon and the Uni is not so good, and according to them I currently dwell in a blob. woo!
September 28, 2005
Well, with the “resits” of yesterday out of the way I am slowly but surely returning to a “normal”(i.e. crazy) state of mind and promise to be a lot more interesting than I was last week. *promises*
Back in The Bubble.
And suddenly there are new faces everywhere, all bright eyed and bushy tailed. Running here and there sporting eager expressions; scurrying around with handfuls of nuts and running up trees. (maybe putting on makeup while they’re up there) or possibly disguising themselves as cars or signposts. Yes, the evil squirrels have brought in new recruits in my absence. But I’m too old and battle scarred to fall for their ploys. This is one third year who will be keeping her fingers. All of them. Attached to her hand. So she can drink tea and eat biscuits without the aid of mechanical contraptions.
But in all honesty being back on campus is Teh Good, and bringing back all sorts of lovely memories. Only just yesterday, walking to gibbet hill with long-time coursemates we paused at the old waiting spot outside Rootes J block and reminisced about the first year. Gathering there at 8:45 am, waiting for me. Waiting more. Calling my mobile. Hearing me answer with a “Bleurgh-arrrrr-aaagghhh-wha-tha-faaack?!?!” and the sound of someone falling out of bed. Ahhh good times… good times…
So far I’ve managed to miss the first two lectures of term. And I’ve rediscovered an addiction to boost bars regardless of the fact they taste like ming. Piddle.
Hello All You Strange New Crazy People.
Yes. I called you all strange, you freaks. You vast lot of unique individuals. See? It was a compliment, so chill. It’s when I start calling people “average” and “normal” (or indeed BEIGE *ahem*) that one should commence worrying. So anyway. As it’s the beginning of term and I’m feeling in such a giving mood since the abatement of the revision. Here are the words of advice I offer you.
- just keep your uni card on you wherever you go. It solves 98% of problems (excluding wild goose attack) In fact have it grafted onto your arm and you’ll be sorted.
- Invest in a never ending supply of tea such as secret tunnels to plantations or lovely grandparents.
- Don't plan to miss lectures. chances are you'll miss enough without even trying. And Murphy's law dictates that the ones you miss deliberately will be the most important
- Don't get caught. Most things are only wrong if you get caught. An alibi is an invaluable resource.
- Send stuff in the mail to friends. Get them to send stuff back. It's been calculated that for the average student a package received in the mail releases twice as much endorphins as landing on the moon. Endorphins are good.
- Don't get addicted to e-comics. Just don't, they are the consumers of time and ruiners of degrees. Here follows a large number of links to e-comics for you to not click and not get addicted to. Bunny Sinfest CtrlAltDel Penny Arcade Men in Hats Goats Questionable Content The Crearures in my Head Dinosaur Comics
- equally don't get addicted to the games that come with windows, especially not minesweeper.
- or rococo frescatos.
- You're on campus. Take full advantage of this fact, you'll miss the short stumble home later. And take time to laugh at the queue for the RAG cloakroom because that's your sad, sorry future right there.
- Mourne the loss of DC++. It was faster than a greased weasel in freefall.
- Freeze bread. It stops it evolving any further than is absolutely necessary.
- Prevention is better than cure. Keep a decent stockpile of chocolate to fend off chocolate-withdrawal-psychosis. Plus lads, it lures in the laydeez.
- Have post-night-out food on standby for when you get back. Then laugh heartily as you tuck into hot chilli con carne on rice/pasta/toast/whatever while your mates try to coax some joy out of a pot noodle.
- Leave your alarm on the steel sink (in Rootes) it sounds goddamn awful at 8:15 am on a tuesday morning but it works.
- Develop an all-encompassing addiction to pirates and ninjas. It's going to happen anyway so you may as well be prepared.
And if you don't already have a blog, just get one. Write, come to socials, drink, meet
scary people in need of psychoanalysis lots of lovely friendly people. In fact, the first fresher to accost (read: "greet") me at the social gets a prize. At the moment all I have on offer is a pink novelty toothpick shaped like a naked ladyfish. Oh yes, no expense spared. And then you can spend the whole evening poking people. now there's an offer you can't refuse.
Oh and drink tea. well. Y'know. If you like it. If you don't you can jump into a pit lined with spikes. I hear that's pretty fun too.
July 11, 2005
Go. Now. Rent it. Watch it.
Or not. Y'know, whatever… It's not like I'm threatening you with death or anything…
It's Australian based, Baz Luhrmann produced, dancing fueled, beauteous wonderfullness. Combining great dancers, gorgeous dresses, good looking lead guy and an ugly-ducking-to-swan leading lady. The finale is oh so predictable but who cares.
I love this film. It's a chick flick. I'm a chick, so sue me.
Here's to dreaming of the impossibly happy endings against all odds. Regardless of the heartbreaks that preceed them, or however hopeless they may seem. Sometimes the dream is all you have, sometimes it's all you need… And among the mush and soppyness of the previous few lines I guess there is a serious fragment of truth; If you can drag yourself out from under the avalanche of puppies, teddies, flowers and heart-shaped scatter cushions long enough to find it.
A word of warning however: Guys, if your lady makes you watch this then you'd better think long and hard about what you did to deserve it. And never do it again. No one dies, there are no guns or violence and it is romantic and has a happy ending. At one point some bins are knocked over and that. is. it.
Say you're sorry, and chances are you'll be fine.
Now; where's the rest of that popcorn? I think some dramatic sighing and wistful glances are in order, coupled with impossibly swoony background music, a sheepskin rug, chocolates and a bubble machine. Damn I love being a girl.
June 02, 2005
…So I've saved everyone's browsers the pain of displaying it all by removing it from the collections.
It's filled with this:
The 213 Things Skippy is No Longer Allowed to Do in the U.S. Army.
2. My proper military title is 'Specialist Schwarz' not 'Princess Anastasia'.
5. Not allowed to get silicone breast implants.
6. Not allowed to play 'Pulp Fiction' with a suction-cup dart pistol and any officer.
7. Not allowed to add 'In accordance with the prophesy' to the end of answers I give to a question an officer asks me.
10. Not allowed to purchase anyone's soul on Government time.
Intrigued? clicky for more.
June 01, 2005
Writing about web page http://www.totse.com/en/ego/no_laughing_matter/thethingsskipp173503.html
After a conversation involving the pros and cons of throwing various grocery items against a wall giving slight thought to the repercussions of each event, and then the wanton destruction of half a grape in the presence of a carrot carved into an assault rifle, my mind wandered and i remembered this list. Is is teh good. And though it originates from the US military, I think more than one point is applicable to the Warwick student body… (see especially #124, #125, #126)
Once upon a time, there was a SPC Schwarz stationed with the Army in the Balkans. SPC Schwarz was either very clever or very bored; but probably both, since he managed to attempt or be warned about 213 things he wasn't allowed to do. He collected those things into a hillarious list and posted them to the web. The site hadn't been updated in a couple of years and has since gone away; but the list is classic, so I saved it.
– SGT Shawn Stanford.
And just in case that link disappears, here they are in all their glory
*favourites in bold
The 213 Things Skippy is No Longer Allowed to Do in the U.S. Army
- Not allowed to watch Southpark when I'm supposed to be working.
- My proper military title is 'Specialist Schwarz' not 'Princess Anastasia'.
- Not allowed to threaten anyone with black magic.
- Not allowed to challenge anyone's disbelief of black magic by asking for hair.
- Not allowed to get silicone breast implants.
- Not allowed to play 'Pulp Fiction' with a suction-cup dart pistol and any officer.
- Not allowed to add 'In accordance with the prophesy' to the end of answers I give to a question an officer asks me.
- Not allowed to add pictures of officers I don't like to War Criminal posters.
- Not allowed to title any product 'Get Over it'.
- Not allowed to purchase anyone's soul on Government time.
- Not allowed to join the communist party.
- Not allowed to join any militia.
- Not allowed to form any militia.
- Not allowed out of my office when the president visited Sarajevo.
- Not allowed to train adopted stray dogs to 'Sic Brass!'
- Must get a haircut even if it tampers with my 'Sampson like powers'.
- God may not contradict any of my orders.
- May no longer perform my now (in)famous 'Barbie Girl Dance' while on duty.
- May not call any officers immoral, untrustworthy, lying, slime, even if I'm right.
- Must not taunt the French any more.
- Must attempt to not antagonize SAS.
- Must never call an SAS a 'Wanker'.
- Must never ask anyone who outranks me if they've been smoking crack.
- Must not tell any officer that I am smarter than they are, especially if it's true.
- Never confuse a Dutch soldier for a French one.
- Never tell a German soldier that 'We kicked your ass in World War 2!'
- Don't tell Princess Di jokes in front of the paras (British Airborne).
- Don't take the batteries out of the other soldiers alarm clocks (Even if they do hit snooze about forty times).
- The Irish MPs are not after 'Me frosted lucky charms'.
- Not allowed to wake an Non-Commissioned Officer by repeatedly banging on the head with a bag of trash.
- Not allowed to let sock puppets take responsibility for any of my actions.
- Not allowed to let sock puppets take command of my post.
- Not allowed to chew gum at formation, unless I brought enough for everybody.
- (Next day) Not allowed to chew gum at formation even if I did bring enough for everybody.
- Not allowed to sing 'High Speed Dirt' by Megadeth during airborne operations. ('See the earth below/Soon to make a crater/Blue sky, black death, I'm off to meet my maker')
- Can't have flashbacks to wars I was not in. (The Spanish-American War isn't over).
- Our medic is called 'Sgt Larwasa', not 'Dr. Feelgood'.
- Our supply Sgt is 'Sgt Watkins' not 'Sugar Daddy'.
- Not allowed to ask for the day off due to religious purposes, on the basis that the world is going to end, more than once.
- I do not have super-powers.
- 'Keep on Trucking' is not a psychological warfare message.
- Not allowed to attempt to appeal to mankind's baser instincts in recruitment posters.
- Camouflage body paint is not a uniform.
- I am not the atheist chaplain.
- I am not allowed to 'Go to Bragg boulevard and shake daddies little money maker for twenties stuffed into my undies'.
- I am not authorized to fire officers.
- I am not a citizen of Texas, and those other, forty-nine, lesser states.
- I may not use public masturbation as a tool to demonstrate a flaw in a command decision.
- Not allowed to trade military equipment for 'magic beans'.
- Not allowed to sell magic beans during duty hours.
- Not allowed to quote 'Dr Seuss' on military operations.
- Not allowed to yell 'Take that Cobra' at the rifle range.
- Not allowed to quote 'Full Metal Jacket ' at the rifle range.
- 'Napalm sticks to kids' is not a motivational phrase.
- An order to 'Put Kiwi on my boots' does not involve fruit.
- An order to 'Make my Boots black and shiny' does not involve electrical tape.
- The proper response to a lawful order is not 'Why?'
- The following words and phrases may not be used in a cadence- Budding sexuality, necrophilia, I hate everyone in this formation and wish they were dead, sexual lubrication, black earth mother, all Marines are latent homosexuals, Tantric yoga, Gotterdammerung, Korean hooker, Eskimo Nell, we've all got jackboots now, slut puppy, or any references to squid.
- May not make posters depicting the leadership failings of my chain of command.
- 'The Giant Space Ants' are not at the top of my chain of command.
- If one soldier has a 2nd Lt bar on his uniform, and I have an E-4 on mine It means he outranks me. It does not mean 'I have been promoted three more times than you'.
- It is better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission, no longer applies to Specialist Schwarz.
- Command decisions do not need to be ratified by a 2/3 majority.
- Inflatable novelties do not entitle me to BAQ or Separation pay.
- There are no evil clowns living under my bed.
- There is no 'Anti-Mime' campaign in Bosnia.
- I am not the Psychological Warfare Mascot.
- I may not line my helmet with tin foil to 'Block out the space mind control lasers'.
- May not pretend to be a facist stormtrooper, while on duty.
- I am not authorized to prescribe any form of medication.
- I must not flaunt my deviances in front of my chain of command.
- May not wear gimp mask while on duty.
- No military functions are to be performed 'Skyclad'.
- Woad is not camouflage makeup.
- May not conduct psychological experiments on my chain of command.
- "Teddy Bear, Teddy bear, turn around" is not a cadence.
- The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
- I may not call block my chain of command.
- I am neither the king nor queen of cheese.
- Not allowed to wear a dress to any army functions.
- May not bring a drag queen to the battalion formal dance.
- May not form any press gangs.
- Must not start any SITREP (Situation Report) with "I recently had an experience I just had to write you about…."
- Must not use military vehicles to 'Squish' things.
- Not allowed to make any Psychological Warfare products depicting the infamous Ft. Bragg sniper incident.
- May not challenge anyone in my chain of command to the 'field of honor'.
- If the thought of something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it.
- Must not refer to 1st Sgt as 'Mom'.
- Must not refer to the Commander as 'Dad'.
- Inflatable sheep do not need to be displayed during a room inspection.
- I am not authorized to initiate Jihad.
- When asked to give a few words at a military ceremony 'Romper Bomper Stomper Boo' is probably not appropriate.
- Nerve gas is not funny.
- Crucifixes do not ward off officers, and I should not test that.
- I am not in need of a more suitable host body.
- 'Redneck Zombies' is not a military training aid.
- Gozer does not dwell in my refrigerator.
- The proper response to a chemical weapon attack is not 'Tell my chain of command what I really think about them, and then poke holes in their masks.'
- A smiley face is not used to mark a minefield.
- Claymore mines are not filled with yummy candy, and it is wrong to tell new soldiers that they are.
- I am not allowed to mount a bayonet on a crew-served weapon.
- Rodents are not entitled to burial with full military honors, even if they are "casualties of war".
- My commander is not old enough to have fought in the civil war, and I should stop implying that he did.
- Vodka, green food coloring, and a 'Cool Mint' Listerine® bottle is not a good combination.
- I am not allowed to bum cigarettes off of anyone under twelve.
- I may not trade my rifle for any of the following: Cigarettes, booze, sexual favors, Kalishnikovs, Soviet Armored vehicles, small children, or bootleg CD.s.
- Must not mock command decisions in front of the press.
- Should not taunt members of the press, even if they are really fat, exceptionally stupid, and working for UPI.
- I am not authorized to change national policy in Eastern Europe.
- Never, ever, attempt to correct a Green Beret officer about anything.
- I am not qualified to operate any US, German, Polish, or Russian Armored vehicles.
- When saluting a 'leg' officer, an appropriate greeting is not "Airborne leads the wa- oh…sorry sir".
- There is absolutely no need to emulate the people from 'Full Monty' every time I hear the song "Hot Stuff".
- I cannot trade my CO to the Russians.
- I should not speculate on the penis size of anyone who outranks me.
- Crucifying mice - bad idea.
- Must not use government equipment to bootleg pornography.
- Burn pits for classified material are not revel fires - therefore it is wrong to dance naked around them.
- I cannot arrest children for being rude.
- An EO briefing is probably not the best place to unveil my newest off color joke.
- I should not use government resources to 'waterproof' dirty magazines.
- Radioactive material should not be stored in the barracks.
- I should not teach other soldiers to say offensive and crude things in Albanian, under the guise of teaching them how to say potentially useful phrases.
- Two drink limit does not mean first and last.
- Two drink limit does not mean two kinds of drinks.
- Two drink limit does not mean the drinks can be as large as I like.
- 'No Drinking Of Alcoholic Beverages' does not imply that a Jack Daniel's ® IV is acceptable.
- "Shpadoinkle" is not a real word.
- The Microsoft ® 'Dancing Paperclip' is not authorized to countermand any orders.
- 'I'm drunk' is a bad answer to any question posed by my commander.
- No dancing in the turret. This especially applies in conjunction with rule #113.
- The loudspeaker system is not a forum to voice my ideas.
- The loudspeaker system is not to be used to replace the radio.
- The loudspeaker system is not to be used to broadcast the soundtrack to a porno movie.
- An order to put polish on my boots means the whole boot.
- Shouting "Let's do the village! Let's do the whole fucking village!" while out on a mission is bad.
- Should not show up at the front gate wearing part of a Russian uniform, messily drunk.
- Even if my commander did it.
- Must not teach interpreters how to make "MRE" bombs.
- I am not authorized to sell mineral rights.
- Not allowed to use a broadsword to disprove 'The Pen is Mightier than the sword'.
- 'Calvin-Ball' is not authorized PT.
- I do not need to keep a 'range card' by my window.
- 'K-Pot, LBE, and a thin coat of Break-free' is not an authorized uniform.
- I should not drink three quarts of blue food coloring before a urine test.
- Nor should I drink three quarts of red food coloring, and scream during the same.
- I should not threaten suicide with pop rocks and Coke ®.
- Putting red 'Mike and Ike's' ® into a prescription medicine bottle, and then eating them all in a formation is not funny.
- Must not create new DOD forms, then insist they be filled out.
- On Sports Day PT, a wedgie is not considered a legal tackle.
- The proper way to report to my Commander is 'Specialist Schwarz, reporting as ordered, Sir' not 'You can't prove a thing!'
- The following items do not exist: Keys to the Drop Zone, A box of grid squares, blinker fluid, winter air for tires, canopy lights, or Chem-Light ® batteries.
- I should not assign new privates to 'guard the flight line'.
- Shouldn't treat 'piss-bottles' with extra-strength icy hot.
- Teaching Albanian children to taunt other soldiers is not nice.
- I will no longer perform 'lap-dances' while in uniform.
- If I take the uniform off, in the course of the lap-dance, it still counts.
- The revolution is not now.
- When detained by MP's, I do not have a right to a strip search.
- No part of the military uniform is edible.
- Bodychecking General officers is not a good idea.
- Past lives have absolutely no effect on the chain of command.
- Take that hat off.
- There is no such thing as a were-virgin.
- I do not get 'that time of month'.
- No, the pants are not optional.
- Not allowed to operate a business out of the barracks.
- Especially not a pornographic movie studio.
- Not even if they are 'especially patriotic films'
- Not allowed to 'defect' to OPFOR during training missions.
- On training missions, try not to shoot down the General's helicopter.
- 'A full magazine and some privacy' is not the way to help a potential suicide.
- I am not allowed to create new levels of security clearance.
- Furby ® is not allowed into classified areas. (I swear to the gods, I did not make that up, it's actually DOD policy).
- We do not 'charge into battle, naked, like the Celts'.
- Any device that can crawl across the table on medium, does not need to be brought into the office.
- I am not to refer to a formation as 'the boxy rectangle thingie'.
- I am not 'A lesbian trapped in a man's body'.
- On Army documents, my race is not 'Other'.
- Nor is it 'Secretariat, in the third'.
- Pokémon® trainer is not an MOS.
- There is no FM for 'wall-to-wall counseling'.
- My chain of command has neither the time, nor the inclination to hear about what I did with six boxes of Fruit Roll-Ups. ®
- When operating a military vehicle I may not attempt something 'I saw in a cartoon'.
- My name is not a killing word.
- I am not the Emperor of anything.
- Must not taunt officers in the throes of nicotine withdrawal, with cigarettes.
- May not challenge officers to 'Meet me on the field of honor, at dawn'.
- Do not dare SERE graduates to eat bugs. They will always do it.
- Must not make s'mores while on guard duty.
- Our Humvees cannot be assembled into a giant battle-robot.
- The proper response to a briefing is not 'That's what you think'.
- The Masons and Gray Aliens are not in our chain of command.
- Shouldn't take incriminating photos of my chain of command.
- Shouldn't use Photoshop ® to create incriminating photos of my chain of command.
- I am not allowed to give tattoos.
- I am not allowed to sing 'Henry the VIII I am' until verse 68 ever again.
- Not allowed to lead a 'Coup' during training missions.
- I should not confess to crimes that took place before I was born.
- My chain of command is not interested in why I 'just happen' to have a kilt, an inflatable sheep, and a box of rubber bands in the back of my car.
- Must not valiantly push officers onto hand grenades to save the squad.
- Despite the confusing similarity in the names, the "Safety Dance" and the "Safety Briefing" are never to be combined.
- 'To conquer the earth with an army of flying monkeys" is a bad long term goal to give the re-enlistment NCO.
- NEVER nail a stuffed bunny to a cross and put it up in front of the Battalion Headquarters sign as an "Easter Desecration."
- Don't write up false gigs on a HMMWV PMCS. ("Broken clutch pedal", "Number three turbine has frequent flame-outs", "flux capacitor emits loud whine when engaged")
- Not allowed to get shot.
- The Chicken and Rice MRE is not a personal lubricant. (Skippy wanted this noted for the record that this is not something he has ever attempted or considered! It was something we heard at dinner on 22 September 2001 and it was just so obscene it had to go here.)
- Not allowed to play into the deluded fantasies of the civlians who are "hearing conversations" from the NSA, FBI, CIA and KGB due to the microchip the aliens implanted in their brain.
- An airsickness bag is to be used for airsickness only. (Also not a Skippy-ism…this was the same dinner.)
- Must not make T-shirts up depciting a pig with the writing "Eat Pork or Die" in Arabic to bring as civilian attire when preparing to deploy to a primarily Muslim country.
- Don't ask LTC Steele to sign my copy of Blackhawk Down.
- Must not go on nine deployments in six years that require a security clearance that I don't have, even if the Army tells me repeatedly that I have one and I have no reason to question them.
- Do not convince NCO's that their razorbumps are the result of microscopic parasites.
I hope you liked it as much as I did :D
May 13, 2005
Yes the hour of the Social is upon us again.
Friday 13th of May
7:30ish, The Bar
Go on, you deserve a break from revision before the exams begin.
It's only Friday the 13th.
What could possibly go wrong?
May 03, 2005
I feel I owe an explanation for my absence to the blog social, with it's perfect combination of bloggers and alcohol, so here it is.
My friend’s ballgown exploded!
Ok, maybe it didn’t explode but about 25cm of the seam down the side with the zip did come undone. And this was a bad thing. But being (hopefully) an all round nice person I used my magical sewing skills, just like the fairy godmother, so she would be able to go to the ball. So yes I missed the social but the smiles of relief were worth it. :)
And to the suggestion:
Fair enough but the general opinion is that you have to come to the next blog social in a ballgown…
Hmmmm, we’ll just have to see…
April 27, 2005
Writing about an entry you don't have permission to view
The sudden joy of realising I would actually be able to attend my first blog social was overcome by the sudden horror that I would be forced to attend in a ballgown (Glitter Ball)
However this second thought was then cut off at the pass, hijacked, tied up and overtaken by a third; the sudden joy of realising that I would indeed have to attend in a ballgown.
This may indeed be a "girl thing" But I would gladly wear a ballgown every day of the year if I could get away with it, and prance around campus in dainty heeled sandals, swishing a huge skirt as I walked to and from lectures. (Tiara optional but pretty shoes mandatory)
So there you have it, when you see a twit in a ballgown standing in The Bar on Friday before Crash, With the look on her face of someone who knows exactly how much of a twit they look like for being there in a ballgown; that'll be me.
I'm struck with the feeling that I'm attending some kind of 'Superhero' convention, with everyone attending as their secret identity, then revealing their blogger identity one by one. In which case I guess I'm going to have to introduce myself as "Something Random". But then again, considering my attire, I guess it'll be mostly true. :)
Is anyone else going to be sporting other identifiable features that would make putting blogs to faces any easier?
Nevertheless I look forward to meeting as many fellow bloggers as possible.
Going to my first blog social in a ballgown 4.5/5 it loses 0.5 because I'm going to have to leave early :(
Now, to find a hair dye that matches my dress…
April 23, 2005
Writing about web page http://users.ox.ac.uk/~exet1495/ecb2k5/index.htm
Thanks to my lovely friend Louise I have yet another Ball to go to, with a free ticket in return for doing the artwork for the webeite and posters. And while she and Gareth sort out the whole thing and get everyone co-ordinated I'm staying out of the way for half an hour with a computer to babysit me. No complaints there!
Coincidentally there are also no complaints being voiced to the fact that FREE cocktails will be supplied all night as well as a free hogroast and oodles of entertainment. I'm looking forward to the ice skating rink and the fire breathers in particular and the Exeter college 'Battle of the Bands' winners 'Hammer VS The Snake', a group I will vouch for as being excellent. There's going to be live jazz; stilt walkers; henna; shisha; free cookies, popcorn and candyfloss. And on top of that the most amazing setting, right in the grounds of the college, with all of the buildings lit up from the outside and with fire torches in the grounds and candles in the fountains. All I can say is it's going to be pretty overwhelmingly gorgeous. And more than enough to make up for the expensive nights out that have let me down in the recent past.
As if the event itself wasn't enough, I'd really like to thank all the people who I've spent the day with (helping to set up, inflating baloons etc) for being so welcoming and friendly and chatty and just general all-round stars. They've arranged and set up this whole thing themselves, and it's for about 800 people so that's no small feat. Also we've not eaten the 2000 cookies we wheeled to the college all the way from Tescos in crates – a very respectable achievement I feel.
The theme for the ball is The Elements and this is echoed around the grounds with rooms decorated for each one (fire, air, water, earth) and drinks to match. For all those of you holding houseparties in the near future, here are the cocktails in measures to fill big punch bowls:
MAI TAI (Earth)
1 bottle of Vodka
1 bottle of Dark Rum
1 bottle of White Rum
1 bottle of Triple Sec
3 cartons of Orange Juice
3 cartons of Pineapple Juice
1 bottle of Gin
1 bottle of Martini
6 litres of lemonade
SEA BREEZE (Fire)
1 bottle of Vodka
3 cartons of Cranberry
3 cartons of Grapefruit
ICE BREAKER (Water)
2 bottles of Vodka
1 bottle of Curaco
6 litres of lemonade
Anyway, it's just about showtime and the hour is upon us for getting into ballgowns. Louise is running around like a headless chicken trying to get the last minute adjustments finalised, I may have to shoot her with a tranquiliser gun when I find her and then administer chamomile tea intravenously.
hopefully pictures will be posted later. Teehee so excited!
March 08, 2005
Of all the days I could have had yesterday rates pretty high on the Richter scale and has left me pretty shaken. I’ll spare everyone the details but lets say it wasn’t just the fact that I missed my first blog in over a week. I haven’t the bitterness in me to bitch, not right now, so I’m going to fill this entry with nice stuff Fluffy sparky stuff and bunnies. Everything that makes me happy I actually bothered to get up this morning. Not a lot, but the good stuff is worth it
Starting us off is tea
PG tips, milk, no sugar please.
Miracle in a mug, or indeed a teacup. Probably more calming and addictive than any drug free liquid should be. I am cutting down to about 4/5 mugs a day since the 1st term this year where I was actually getting through a 250 bag box every 5 weeks. What can I say? I love tea. I’m surprised there isn’t a Tea Soc already – it’d be the biggest in the Socs Federation surely? And socials with tea, cakes and biscuits would be heavily attended. Plus there’d have to be personalised mugs printed for members. Hmmm I wonder…
If there are no existing societies that cater for what you want to do, you can quite easily set up a new one that does. All you need is 30 people with the same interest who want to become members, and have aims that do not overlap with any existing society.
The steps to setting up a new society are:
1) Find 30 people with a similar interest.
2) Fill in the Society Constitution Form and Exec Contact Sheet, both of which can be obtained from Pam Walker (the Societies Administrator) in the Resources Room (At the top of the stairs in Union North)
3) You will be invited to a meeting of the Socs Fed Committee, where you society will be discussed
4) If approved you will be able to operate as a Union society
Ok, well, this wasn’t the direction this blog was supposed to be heading in but I guess if there’s enough interest why not? Gah, stop it Mia, stop it! I don’t mean to incite mass revolutionary action from the student masses. I just love tea.
Here’s an idea for any tea lovers that frequent Top B, something that I intend to put into practice next term. Request a hot chocolate with cream and marshmallows but without the chocolate, cream or marshmallows – essentially just the “hot”. Then add teabag and milk (from a cartony doodah), that were cunningly secreted away in your bag at the beginning of the evening. Et voila! Tea, in the most unusual of locations when you need it most. Lovely. I wish I’d thought of it before I got to the union. Yeah, I’m not quite sure of the exact motive behind the hot chocolate, maybe it’s the “do unto others” bit, and it was decided that the only thing that one would want “done unto oneself” at 1:05 in the morning is a hot chocolate. If so, then it’s good sound logic I guess. Maybe it’s an attention grabbing publicity campaign for promotion of CU events just to remind us they’re there. Or maybe they’re just being nice. I don’t know. I’ve just never been explained why-
*computer crashes* (autosave, I love you)
Aaaargh! Please God no! OK, OK, I’m sorry, I take it all back, they’re doing a great job, ok? I’m just saying that tea would definitely upgrade it to awesome. That’s all. Please don’t smite my computer. Pretty please. Thankyou. Amen.
Because tea is awesome. And truly versatile, seriously, think about it. Not only does it constitute a 6th food group for the student population. If the Queen and Prime Minister happened to pop in one afternoon – what would you serve them? Meanwhile, outside, there are four builders working on your kitchen extension – what do you give them? Amazing I think you’ll agree. Not many items have such a broad range of usefulness.
Plus scientific experiments have shown that some hot drinks do boost the immune system but 50% of the beneficial effects are achieved just through holding the hot mug itself. And as for the stuff in your mug, It’s about 2 calories (for those poor souls actually counting) and has plenty of good points: High in iron; Very high in manganese; Very high in magnesium; High in phosphorus; Very high in potassium; Very high in riboflavin; High in zinc. The bad points are that it has a lot of sodium and caffeine (but only 47mg whereas the same volume of filter coffee has 95mg) so not too bad really.
Having a bad day? Have some tea. I promise it’ll be like a hug in a mug. The addition of biscuits is also recommended. In extreme cases I am sometimes available at short notice with tea and biscuits, hugs too if necessary.
Anyway, I must go, stuff to do. Hope you enjoyed this more lovely post. Have a nicer day, have tea. It gets a 5* from me.