All entries for Tuesday 09 January 2007
January 09, 2007
How to get it write.
- Verbs has to agree with their subjects.
- Prepositions are not words to end sentences with.
- And don’t start a sentence with a conjunction.
- It is wrong to ever split an infinitive.
- Avoid clichés like the plague.
- Also, always avoid annoying alliteration.
- Be more or less specific.
- Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are (usually) unnecessary.
- One should never generalise.
- Comparisons are as bad as clichés.
- Don’t use no double negatives.
- Eschew ampersands, & abbreviations etc.
- Never use a big word when a diminutive one would suffice.
- Understatement is always the best way to put forward earth shaking ideas.
- Puns are for children, not groan readers.
- Even if a mixed metaphor sings, it should be derailed.
- Who need rhetorical questions?
- Exaggeration is a billion times worse than understatement.
- One word sentences? Eliminate.
- Proof read carefully to see if you any words out.
:) M xxx