All entries for Monday 04 October 2004
October 04, 2004
Given I have just ranted about soft dance mats elsewere, I thought I'd clarify exactly the problem I have with them.
Dance mat society = good
Soft Dance mats = bad
Soft dance mats…
- Move underfoot, often walking across an entire room
- Crumple underfoot, ending up mis-shapen
- Slip away, allowing injuries
- Often (in the majority of cases) have a completely non-arcade sensor area
- Require considerably different forces to activate to arcade-quality mats
- Break far more easily than quality hard mats, or foam-lined ones
If soft plastic mats are to be used, they should always be mounted securely to a wooden base. This ensures that they do not slip underfoot and that they do not walk.