All entries for Wednesday 24 February 2016
February 24, 2016
Today we had our coaching class with Greame. I worked coaching Nilsu, which made things a bit easier since we are close, so we could jump the establish rapport point.
I summarise here some of the things I learned with the excercise:
- The key of coaching is asking questions to help people open up and talk.
- Coaching is not about you, it is not about what you thing is the person problem or what you think they should do to solve it, it is about them finding out what they need to solve and defining a solution they believe in.
- The objective of coaching is unlocking people's potential.
- Avoid using the question 'why' ...why did you do this? why did you react this way?..this type of questions can make people feel defensive.
- Be patient, listen and summarise what the coachee is saying.
- Gain commitment to change and define next step, without this the whole process is lost.
I particulary like the coaching class because I links with the idea that effective leaders care about their people and are concerned about developing them, so couching fits great with this line.