Some of the most important issues in knowledge acquisition center on the following issues:
- Most knowledge is in the heads of experts (tacit knowledge).
- The experts have vast amounts of knowledge and do not realize all that they know, which makes it difficult to describe and capture.
- The experts are usually too busy to enable someone to gain from their knowledge.
- There are usually multiple experts in a particular doman, which makes it difficult to validate the knowledge captured.
- Knowledge has an expiration date: knowledge about a certain domain may become obsolete over time as new techniques are discovered or technology is developed.