I take it back – the hard part is just starting
I spent a good bit of yesterday (when I wasn't chatting with the ever helpful eLab team about blogs – thanks guys) starting to organise the data from the Reading List audit into some sort of order ready for analysis. I've already been able to churn out some useful/interesting early data considering the level of work, contributions from my assistants – and a figure for how long it would take to have audited the whole of the university's module reading lists (as opposed to the 41%+ I ended up with) – 48.7 working weeks!
Which if we factor in the fact that I get around 4 weeks holiday a year means we're talking about an entire year of doing pretty much nothing else except reading lists. I can assure you now, I won't be doing that! Now if I had a team to work on it full time, well then that figure begins to come down to a more realistic figure. Not (and I can't stress this enough) that I'm advocating doing anything on this scale again any time soon. Studies on individual departments on the other hand might well be a possibility – but I hope the RIU will be working on some far more actively interesting projects instead.
Meanwhile a trip to the Medical School today (about which I'll know more once I'm there), some work on the Psychology project, interviewing some subject librarians and even some UC&RG work (agenda devising) will fill the rest of today – so not too much time for more statistical work – at least until tomorrow…