What I've been up to
I've not blogged for a while because I don't really feel like I've finished anything recently.
I've been jumping between quite a few different little projects recently and all seem to not get finished.
- Single change password screen: I've been working on a really nice new change password screen for SSO. It will change your Novell password if you're a main ITS user or it'll change your external user password if you're of that type. What's neat about it is the AJAX password strength meters. I'll link to this when it is finally done, it's very neat though :)
- Importing academic data into our WebGroups project. We have a system called WebGroups that lets people create arbitrary groups for use in permissions for things like Forums, Sitebuilder and soon BlogBuilder. This import will automatically have groups for departments, modules, courses, etc… Although we already have a system that does similar, this is a much nicer system but we are just waiting on the right data right now.
- Various other little bits and pieces that always get in the way, bug fixes here and there. I've done a bit of work recently on SiteBuilder2 (but not much), SSO, External Users System, BlogBuilder (fixing some code that has grown really ugly).
- Had a bit of disaster recovery to do recently too which was a bit scary because you never know if you can get things back for real until it actually happens. Thankfully we got everything back up and running pretty quickly…phew.
So, fairly busy. The frustrating thing is not being able to concentrate on one thing. It can be quite difficult to chop and change all the time, although that is probably party my fault :)
Hopefully I'll start looking at Shibboleth for Athens again soon as it looks like JISC and co. are getting themselves sorted out and the momentum seems to be building around the academic community for this again.