New toy: Canon S3 IS
It’s my birthday in just over a month, but I’ve got my main present early this year :)
As we are off on holiday to visit my parents in South Africa in a few days time, Steph bought me the Canon S3 IS (bargin at £250 from Pixmania) to replace my aging Canon A40. I’ve not had much of a chance to play with it yet, but I’ll have loads of time on holiday. Only problem around the house is that poor Maggie is afraid of it :( I think there must be some high frequency sounds coming from it when the lense extends as she goes all pathetic whenver I turn the camera on (even if she can’t see it happening), poor thing.
The A40 went with me last year to South Africa on safari. It was ok, but I was very jealous of my Dad’s more up to date camera. So with this in mind, I decided it was time for an update. As DP Review puts it:
The PowerShot S3 IS features:
- 12x optical zoom lens with USM and UD lens element
- Optical Image Stabilizer
- 6.0 Megapixel CCD
- Larger size 2.0” Vari-angle LCD
- 30fps VGA movies with stereo sound and Photo in Movie feature
- DIGIC II, iSAPS and Flexizone AF/AE for fast, precise results and 2.3 fps continuous shooting performance
- 20 shooting modes and My Colors photo effects
- High ISO Auto and ISO 800 for low light flexibility
- Widescreen (16:9) recording
Hopefully I can compete for the best photos this time around…at least I can’t blame the tools this time.