All entries for Monday 19 June 2006
June 19, 2006
Writing about web page http://www.springone.com/
I spent last Wednesday, Thursday and Friday in Antwerp attending the SpringOne conference.
Chris blogged every session he went to so I won't go over those again.
For me the most interesting parts that came out of it were:
- New features of Spring 2.0 explained a lot better than the documentation (which is improving but still doesn't cover Spring 2.0 well enough I don't think)
- Discussion of rich domain models was interesting (which we've tried to do for a while), but everyone was talking like it was all new. There are a couple of new methods for achieving this with AOP or Spring 2.0's new @Configurable annotation
- Productivity improvements with Spring MVC, primarily the move towards convention over configuration (a big nod to Ruby)
- New namespace support in Spring 2.0 that will hopefully greatly reduce the reams and reams of XML that you always have to create and maintain
- AOP/AspectJ support, was there in Spring before 2.0, but it is much more powerful and documented now, it was great to see real world examples, even if they did sometimes take it too far
- Voca's presentation about how they had up to 500 people working on their new Spring based application that basically runs the UK's bank transfer systems, 100,000,000 transactions in 4 hours!!!