All entries for Friday 15 October 2004
October 15, 2004
Had a good meeting with the ELA's on Wednesday. They all got together to gang up on me and get me to build some of their e-learning requirements for blogbuilder.
So, what did we talk about?
- Default permissions for categories
- Automatically creating categories in peoples blogs
- Making blog prompts send confirmation emails
- Making people more aware of what creating a public entry really means
- Squeezing people into blog collections, even if they are not strictly in that department, perhaps using a secondary department
- Customising the home page
Those were the main topics, however, I forced them to agree to a top 3 things they wanted:
- Changing the wording on the "create entry" link on the drop down. There could be two options now, one that says University only entry and one which is World viewable entry The permissions that this would create are obvious, and that is the point. The wording more strongly suggests the implications of different kinds of permissions. There could well be a tooltip explaining the implications of fully public entries even further.
- Blog prompts should send confirmation emails to the blog owners hopefully this will mean better responses to blog prompts. The email will include all the text of the prompt and also a very clear link that you can click that will create an entry linked to the prompt.
- Module categories Although we are not sure how it would work just now, we agreed the need to create categories in peoples blogs based on what modules they are doing. However, it would not work to just show a category for all modules because there would be too many. Some kind of screen where students get to choose which modules they want to show categories for would be good.