Some recommendations could be put forth for an effective implementation of Lean Six Sigma:
- There are profound differences between the two; nonetheless, taking these differences into account, a coherent and simultaneous approach needs to be adopted, without one dominating the other.
- Top Management should be fully committed and should be linked with the organisation’s strategy.
- Overall improvement process should be holistic, combining the most powerful tools of both: DMAIC and statistical tools from Six Sigma, and VSM and work flow from Lean.
- The overall focus and goal should be to satisfy customers and other relevant stakeholders. Voice of customer should be taken into account.
- Project selection should be carefully done.
- Project based training and teamwork is necessary.
- A culture incorporating continuous improvement should be adopted.