All entries for Sunday 23 October 2005
October 23, 2005
- Olympia, Washington - the reason why I currently have "Kill Rock Stars" drunkenly written on one of my shoes. It's possible that one day I might discover that the people of Olympia are not all the cool, intelligent types that I currently think them to be, but are in fact just like everybody else. Until that potential day, however, I will carry on with my everyone's in a band, everyone rules, riot-grrl-inspired dreams.
- San Francisco, California – counterculture and comics, two things I have very little to do with, but like the basic idea of. Plus trams.
- Portland, Oregon – a lot of good bands have come out of here, plus I could find and punch the Death Cab for Cutie guitarist for holding his guitar in an irritating manner. Actually it might be the bassist who does it, I can't remember, but man it is actually really annoying.
- New York – full of insufferable "hipster" scene shits but also lots of great stuff. In my mind the American equivalent of London, without the cheeky cocker-knees, but with all the (justified) sense of self-importance.
- Ann Arbor, Michigan – the MC5 may have sold out for the Levi jeans dollar, but I guess some vestiges of the protest culture must survive. Downside: students, lots of students.
- Washington DC – again a good music scene, this time making up for a crime rate that makes (insert war-torn city here) look friendly.
Plus a thumbs down to wb for not allowing titles longer than 100 characters. 250-letter titles are the way to go.