Leadership principles – quotes of Jack Welch
Jack Welch was the Chairman and CEO of General Electric, who has contributed to GE's outstanding 20 year record. Here are some quotes of Welch about some fundamental leadership principles from his book "Jack: Straight From The Gut".
- There is only one way - the straight way. It sets the tone of the organisation.
- Be open to the best of what everyone, everywhere, has to offer; transfer learning across your organisation.
- Get the right people in the right jobs - it is more important than developing a strategy.
- An informal atmosphere is a competitive advantage.
- Make sure everybody counts and everybody knows they count.
- Legitimate self-confidence is a winner - the true test of self-confidence is the courage to be open.
- Business has to be fun - celebrations energise and organisation.
- Never underestimate the other guy.
- Understand where real value is added and put your best people there.
- Know when to meddle and when to let go - this is pure instinct.
One of the best ways of getting great ideas is not to focus too much on leadership but to hone in on your wishes and what the obstacles are. Tell as many people as you can what your wish is and what obstacle you face. it’s very important to include whatever you think will hold you back in achieving your goal. For instance, if you tell someone that your wish is to go to the Himalayas, you may get a response like “Sounds great, what are you going to do there?” but if you say “I want to go to the Himalayas but not unless I can talk to someone who’s been there” the person you are talking to will immediately spring into problem solving mode because human beings are problem solving animals. Sometimes your problem will be solved immediately and sometimes it won’t but when you start sharing with others on a wish/obstacle level your whole world will grow more creative.
25 Jan 2009, 00:37
Add a commentYou are not allowed to comment on this entry as it has restricted commenting permissions.