Favourite blogs for Bella's blog

My favourites » Ask a stupid question...

January 30, 2007

Stupid Sudoku…

I’m sitting at the back of metric spaces and I’m bored. So what do I do? Why the Sudoku from this weeks Boar!

After a few minutes I realise something seems very familiar about this Sudoku…I still have my old copy of last weeks Boar in my bag, so I check it and sure enough it is the same Sudoku! Which I couldn’t solve last week…bummer.

Still, I try it again, I get the idea that a clean start will help me out, so I resist the temptation to just jump to where I was before. And sure enough after a while I look over and notice I have got a bit further. But I soon get stuck again and despite a lot of checking I can’t see any other moves.

Now I consider myself pretty decent at Sudoku, so I wasn’t going to let this defeat me (read: stubborn). But it just seemed there wasn’t enough information there. So I got out my old copy from last week and just tried guessing a few numbers. Much to my shock, I worked it through and I got a solution, which when checked seemed to work. Finally I thought, and got back to my notes.

However after a while I start to think, surely I couldn’t have been that lucky, I’d had to make about 3 guesses for it to drop out. So I tried drawing out another grid, and this time made a few different guesses. I followed it through and got another different solution. And then another one. I guess it is non-unqiue then.

Posted below are 3 of my solutions, along with the furthest I managed to get following it through logically. The numbers in black are those initially given, the numbers in red the ones added in.

Sort it out the Boar. I need Sudoku’s I can solve quickly so I don’t spend ages fiddling around finding numerous solutions and creating blog entries about it when I should be working!

December 09, 2006

Bloody Nose

I got a nosebleed in Woolworths in Leamington yesterday. No particular reason, I just suddenly started spurting blood from my nostril. I was somewhat shocked, as were all the staff who I went up to and said in a completely deadpan manner:

“Yeah I seem to have developed a nosebleed, have you got any toilets or anything?”

The whole thing was a tad unusual for me, I can only remember one other situation when I had a nosebleed and this was back when I was a lot younger and accidently headbutted a friend of mine while on a bouncy castle. With my nose.
Infact that particular occasion taught me a very important lesson which I have stuck to for a long time since:

“Never Sneeze while you have a nose bleed. Particularly if you are standing in front of a mirror in the ladies toilet which you got taken into by the first aid person.”
The look on the face of the person who came out of the cubicle just afterwards…

April 23, 2006

How do you eat yours?

While wasting away the long easter holiday I realised that I have a very odd way of eating certain foods. And so with far too much time on my hands I set off down to the shops and bought myself a selection of some of the foods I eat, and proceded to eat them in my strange and wonderful ways. However I then thought, why not share my wacky ways with the world in some kind of blog entry. So I photographed the food at various stages of eaten-ness (yes it is a real word. Honest)

From the title you'd have thought I would start with a creme egg. But I've lost the pictures for it.

So we'll begin with what I first had. A pucker pie. Bought from the finest local fish and chip shop.

Food! 9Food! 10
(apologies for the quality of these, this comes of having to use someone else's computer)
As you can see, rather than the convential method I've gone for the somewhat unusual method of taking the top off…and eating out the insides first. Sometimes I will eat the top with the inside as well, as the top is a bit dry. This then leaves me to eat the rest of the delicious pastry.

This is similar in style to another of my foods..the custard tart.
Food! 1Food! 2Food! 3
Here initially I have carefully gone round and bitten off the crust in the first image (Note usually I wouldn't have it in the foil container..but I put in back in it for added stability, particularly for the last photo).
I have then proceded to do some difficult tongue work and lick out the entire of the filling, yet again leaving the pastry to be eaten last.

So currently I seem to be eating the inside first..and leaving the outside. But then we move on to the Kitkat Chunky.
Food! 7Food! 8
Yes, I have very carefully bitten off all the chocolate from the outside. I was actually rather impressed with this effort, ususually I end up damaging the flakes inside. I do the same thing with a normal kitkat..but it is so much more impressive with a chunky.

Finally then, the humble jaffa cake
Food! 4Food! 5Food! 6
Here the aim is simple. The inner core is the nicest part and should be craefully preserved, so I eat off the base first, and then take the chocolate off the top.

So there you have it. Naturally of course I never normally do these in front of people (I do have some manners. Sometimes.) So basically I was wondering if I am the only person who seems to have turned the eating of food in to some kind of challenge. Does anyone else eat their food in a crazy manner?

(PS: I'm aware that there is almost certainly a psychological reason for me doing this that will expose me as a nutjob. But what the hey)

(PPS: Am currently attempting to go a whole week without my own computer in my room. This has already resulted in me getting very bored and actually doing some work. Oh and stealing Fiona's laptop a lot, thanks Fi-fi!)

April 05, 2006

I am so jealous….

Okay I know it is a little early to be making an entry about eurovision, but I was reminded of our terrible entry the other day (Although it has almost reached the "So bad it is brilliant level") but I saw this and just had to post it now.
This is Finlands Entry to the Eurovision Song Contest

One word. Awesome. I really, really hope they actually have the zombie cheerleaders on stage. Wogan is actually going to have a field day. It might even make it bareable to watch.

(Oh and I know this has nothing to do with a kitkat chunky or a cream egg. All will be explained soonish)

April 03, 2006

Cillit Bang!

Sadly this doesn't really have anything to do with Cillit Bang, as I actually quite like their advert as it is quirky in a weird kind of way.
Basically I've been watching far, far too much telly, as it is Easter and while I am doing some work it has to be kept to a minimum. So naturally I've been seing a lot of adverts, quite a few of them multiple times

Firstly ABC1. I hate the way they organise their adverts. Why do they make you watch 5 mins of adverts just so you can see the last 30 seconds of the show? It is just annoying! Break in the middle like every other sane channel.

And secondly..just plain annoying adverts. The kind that make you run out the room screaming everytime you see them.

1- Sheila's Wheels: This tune is slowly driving me insane. How can anyone actually use this company? I mean..yeah it is memorable, but memorable in a 'I really want to kill whoever invented that advert' kinda way.

2- The More Than Adverts: More specifically..that's more than lucky. They have got old so, so, so quickly. Infact..I think they may actually have been old originally, and just got worse. I find myself wishing that it wouldn't be so damn lucky just to shut the guy up.

3- The Vauxhall advert with the grown up kids: This really isn't funny. Okay I can understand maybe doing it once. But it just isn't funny anymore. They may think they are being wacky..but they really aren't. In any way.

Anyway Rant over.Should hopefully be blogging again tomorrow if I can get my hands on a cream egg and a kitkat chunky….

BANG!!...and the Ross is gone

March 27, 2006

It's Like a Yo–Yo!

Sadly I'm describing my internet connection, which seems to dropping on and off with worrying frequency. Why do these things always seem to happen when I am home, and thus when I am moaned at to deal with it continuously?

Anyway basically first of all one computer connects but the other doesn't. After checking quite a few settings, I discover that my sister was mucking around with some of the settings and disabled the network. When asked later she admitted doing this, but didn't think it would be a good idea to tell me….

So that got the first problem sorted. About 2 hours later, both the computers start losing their connection. At first just the internet, but sometimes the network connection as well. After upgrading the Router to the latest firmware (a process which took a long time due to aforementioned intermittent internet connection) I'm still not having much luck. Then I realise that someone has knocked the plug a bit loose for the router…..

This seems to solve the lose of network connection. But the internet is still bobbing up and down happily. So after running nearly every test…I still haven't really got anywhere. I managed to get the log from the router, it is claiming a Loss of synchronization error seems to be the problem. Thankfully this doesn't seem to be an uncommon problem (the router is a DG834…and the problem is mentioned on their forums). However sadly while not uncommon, there is no definate solution.So it looks like I have more fun tomorrow trying to figure it out.

I've also finally started getting into work. Now the commonwealth games have finished, I'm quietly optimistic of actually being able to get things done.

(Oh I've also got my new glasses. Cost a fair amount but thanks to specsavers amazing 2 for 1 deal I have now got 2 pairs. This doesn't mean however that I am in any way encouraging a repeat performance of what happened to the last ones on the basis that I now have a backup)

March 12, 2006

On Holiday

Ah back home again. So naturally I'm blogging again as I've got nothing else to do. I expect to be spending more time on facebook as well.
Anyway naturally I plan on getting lots of work done, sorting out jobs and generally doing lots of little things that need to be done. However I'll probably end up mostly doing what I did last holiday..watching TV (well and now also mastering Pro Evo.)

End of Term was very strange. It definately didn't feel right coming back at 3:30am completly sober. Still it was actually a pretty good night for the cloakroom, very busy and hard work, but we managed to have a pretty decent time in there. Although obviously I would have rather been living it up.

Anyway, I ought to be goind to bed now so I can get up bright and early tomorrow to start off on a good foot (top of the list if booking a eye appointment to get some new glasses). So naturally I'm probably going to go off and watch scrubs.

Ross over.

March 05, 2006

Late Night stuff

First entry for ages and I think this is well up there with my other contenders for latest blog entry. The only difference this time is that I am completly and utterly sober. I suppose I should mention to anyone that reads my blog and doesn't know me that, yes I did make it onto the RAG exec (Treasurer all the way) and that this has resulted in needing to train to be a cloakroom coordinator.

So I ended up being giving Crash (which obviously I changed to Metropolis due to Fi-fi's birthday party), and the End of Term Party, something that will certainly be interesting, it goes on til 3 and everyone will be wasted and coming back at the end demanding their coats when they've lost their tickets because they won't be able to go back and get them on Monday. The worse part is missing out on going out with everyone though. I guess I have to make sacrifices….RAG will consume me eventually.

Other things:
1) I badly, badly need a haircut
2) I'm still wearing my old glasses. I suppose I might as well leave it til I get home now, they aren't that bad really.

Perhaps when I'm not so tired I might actually put up some of my more recent thoughts. But I'm not promising anything.

February 19, 2006

How to create a Spectacle Suprise

Do you want to create something as lovely as this in a simple and easy manner? Well now you can with my handy step by step recipe to Spectacle Suprise

Spectacle Suprise
Serves: 1 person a bill for a new pair of glasses
Preparation time: An evening

You will need:

*One pair of glasses tailored to your prescription

*A student union packed out with people in school uniform

*A random person's arm

*A large amount of alcohol served in plastic glasses and bottles

Take the pair of glasses and wear them on your head, so that the lenses cover your eyes and that the arms reach back over your ears. Progress to the union and enter through the door, before working your way towards the dance floor. As an option, you may like to drink some of the alcohol at this point, or even before. This is not essential, but will add to the later effect.

Procede to dance on packed union dancefloor. Breaking out funky dance moves is again not essential, but preferable to the general feel of the night. After an undetermined amount of time dictated by personal taste, have the random person wave their arm towards your eyes, so that the glasses are knocked away from your face and onto the floor of the union. Naturally this swipe must be well placed and quite hard so as to make the glasses travel as far as possible, as such this may take some time to hone this delicate skill.

At this point you should start to grovel around on the floor in a desperate attempt to find your glasses. If you do, then clearly you didn't knock them away far enough, although consuming alcohol does make it much harder to find them. At this point you should also have ensured that there are a lot of people around you, and that they have dropped as many glasses and bottles on the floor as possible to help make the search harder.

Eventually give up, and allow the glasses to stew delicately on the floor for approximately an hour, although leaving them for longer will again increase the effect. During this time it is possible to be disoriented due to a lack of vision, and generally feel worried and annoyed. This is perfectly normal, and infact shows you are progressing nicely.

Once the event is over and the lights turn back on it should be possible to find the glasses. By this time they should have been kicked around and trodden on nicely, and be nicely broken. If not then clearly you did something wrong or are incredibly lucky. In this example someone found them very quickly, suprising as the lens was loose but I imagine that this could much longer.

Serve immediately

For those wanting to note the special touches, note the break on the left lens holder, where the screw has sheared away the holder so it isn't reperable. Also note the nose supports are facing the wrong way and that the left arm is bent nicely. The left lens is naturally loose, and together with the right lens is scratched to a point where they are of no further use. Also observe the large amounts of general dirt picked up from the floor of the union. I am suprised that the left lens in particular didn't break in this case, but I'm sure with more time someone replicating this recipe could improve on this.

(EDIT: Apologies for the picture disappearing off over the edge. I'm sure there is a way to fix that, but I can't be bothered to work it out and I wanted to leave it as big as possible so that you could see the fine details)

February 15, 2006

Running Man

Yes, truely I kick arse or some other body part that is kicked. 13.4 on the bleep test, and I really feel that on another day I could have done better (I didn't feel quite right today. Don't know why…I guess athletes are very temperamental :P). Was pleasantly suprised to beat everyone else in the Athletics Club, although it was a particularly poor turnout I feel. I might have done a little better infact if I'd had someone to run against, it gets kind of lonely running alone, it's nice to have some support and motivation.

I have noticed one interesting side effect of running recently. I seem really, really hyper after I've gone out. This generally means putting on Trance music and practising my somewhat lamentable dance skillz. (Yes, with a z. They are that hardcore. Or possibly non-hardcore. I'm never sure which one it is.)

So perhaps rather than drinking I should just go out for a quick run around the union every 20mins or so. Although there isn't much room. And I'd stink. And bump into lots of people. And look like a complete and utter weirdo.

This clearly needs more thought.

February 09, 2006

I need to sleep more

Well I suppose I might as well add my bit about how annoying it is that the fire alarm went off at some hideous time in the morning. At which point I proceded to become incredibly confused, trying to turn my alarm off, failing, unplugging it..wondering how the hell it was able to keep on going even tho it was unplugged, finally coming to the realisation that it was the fire alarm…and then going outside with no shoes on.

This combined with not actually being able to drop off to bed that easily meant I really didn't get very much sleep. And I have a Real Ale social…my very first one infact. The chances of me making it back to campus in any kind of state, and being able to get up in time for my 2pm tomorrow are actually not that high.

Suppose I ought to mention that Lava Ignite (the club formally known as Ikon) was a pretty good night. I was very impressed with their level of service, particularly when it came to giving us out shots on the way onto the bus. A man, with a bottle, tipping it into your mouth. Truely the height of class. Being the only people travelling back on the 1:30 bus was pretty funny tho, fair play to the bus driver who dropped us off at the arts centre rather than making us walk from the Varsity.

Now I'm off to mentally prepare for tonight using some kind of…zen like…not needing that much sleep techniques of some sort or another.

February 07, 2006

That's the second most interesting title for a blog entry I've ever seen

Escape from Monkey Island. Pro Evo 5. Both essential that I play them as much as possible. I have to master Pro Evo, and Monkey Island is just great. The question now is will I actually get any work done at any point?
It seems relatively quiet in the corridor now, even with only a few people gone. Not that I am taking the opportunity to get lots of work done. Nope I'm playing games. Or watching Family Guy. Or just dossing about on the web. And also generally not thinking up good blog entries.

Side note: I got incredibly drunk on Saturday. On wine (still it was free- thank you RAG) Am making a mental note that Lindsay and Claire are possibly not the best people to rely on being able to push a trolley with myself in down the slope leading towards Rootes when they are very drunk. Although that may also apply when they are sober as well. I might have to test this at some point.

January 31, 2006

Late Night entries are a bad idea…

2 days in a row, I'm really rolling with it now.

I had a whole blog entry written out about the thing I mentioned before. Then I started to think:
1) I started writing this at 1:30am….this isn't going to be a good blog entry if it is trying to make sense of something
2) I think the person in question knows about this blog, and I think she would probably guess it was about her. (EDIT: I've just realised I could have made a University only entry, so she couldn't have seen it. But then it's too late to remember that kind of thing and I can't be bothered typing it all back out now.)

So in the end I'm going to end up keeping quiet about it. I'm sure people that know me will bug me about it and I'll probably tell you about it. You'll then probably say that I should stop worrying about it or something, which is probably correct but then I've never been one to do things the easy way.

Anyway, Top B is actually quite good. I must make the effort to actually go along more often. It's quite refreshing to not hear the same old songs repeated again and again (not that I don't like the Score stuff, it's just nice to have a change). Also it gives me a chance to break out my crazy dance moves. The longer hair may be a lot more hassle to look after…but it does come in handy for those songs which require a bit of head banging!

And now I really ought to get some sleep.

January 30, 2006

I'm on the road again…

Or rather I'm not as I'm back at Uni again, having been on a rather exciting trip back to (not so) sunny surrey.

I nearly ended up being scuppered at the first hurdle. Thanks to massive queues going to coventry I nearly missed the first train. Thankfully you can always rely on Virgin to be running a tad late and I just caught it having sprinted down from the bus stop. I then of course ended up waiting for 35 mins at Waterloo because for some reason when I bought my tickets they thought it would take an hour to get from Euston to Waterloo. I then also had to do the 35min walk back from the station as I'd forgetten that I'd run out of credit and some idiot had broken the pay phone.

Other bad things, well I got a parking ticket due to being a pillock. I could moan that I was only 17 mins late, but frankly I was stupid. £30 I'm not going to see again. But interestingly if I'd ran down the high street I would have made it back in time. So drawing from this, and the train incident I clearly need to run more.

Other than that it was a pretty relaxed weekend. Went bowling. Played terribly the first game, a lot better in the second. Met Chris' new girlfriend Aisling (I think that's right, it's pronounced Ash-leen). She seemed quite nice, and unlike his last girlfriend, she actually talked to me.

Have also bought back a few new things
1) New digi camera. It's sparkly!
2) A new bag. It's not falling apart!
3) My cocktail shaker. It's going to give us more interesting ways to get drunk!
4) Some new cd's and books I got for my birthday!

Sadly Chris' present to me went AWOL. We think it is somewhere under the huge pile of junk in my other brother's room, but as he wasn't around we didn't feel we could just raid through his stuff. Although that still would have taken a very long time. Also I still haven't got PES 5, but it should be here shortly.

However, all in all a very successful and worthy trip. There's one other thing that might be worth mentioning but I'll leave for another time, as frankly I'm still slightly confused. Although frankly that is nothing new.

January 22, 2006

Back on track

Well it seems that more or less everything has sorted itself out, in one way or another. All my presents have turned up…okay they're currently all at home but that's just a minor inconvenience considering I'm going home this weekend.

Of course that in itself could throw up the odd suprise; my brother is bringing his new girlfriend back, so what better way to introduce her gently than have family friends round as well so they can all go "OOHHHHHhhhh" as well. Still I think she's probably more capable of handling it than his last girlfriend , in the very short conversation I had with her on the phone when I was back home I think I exchanged more words with her than I ever did with his old girlfriends. (and this was a very short conversation)

Anyway, back to the on trackness…the running has kicked up again after I got a bit lax, I started really well when we got back, and it's been up and down since. I really need to get it sorted, because once I've got PES 5 from home I'm going to have a lot less time. Workwise I'm also feeling a bit happier now, Java is going to be a horrible pain in the arse but I feel I've managed to find some kind of a rhythm for getting through everything else.

One final thing: Ross for RAG finance. Or possibly another position! Whatever I can win. I must have an exec position…just because this year they got cooler shirts for RAG week.

A second final thing: RAG hoodie still hasn't turned up. Am mildly annoyed.

Third final thing: Sadly not everything is sorted. But at least I've got the fundementals going right.

And with that cryptic ending, I bid you all Happy 22nd January.

January 18, 2006

Wiki, wiki, wiki fever.

Wikipedia is possibly the most amazing thing ever in the world. Ever. You can find literally anything on there (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anything -gets coat). And then you think about how it was put together. The editing behind the scenes is quite frankly scary.

However I've not set my sights that high, no I've been pulled into the homestar runner wiki, a frankly amazing fansite but together by people with far too much time on their hands. Naturally I became immediately interested. I used it just as a reference for a while, but then I spotted my first mistake. And suddenly I was like 'Wow I can correct that, how cool am I'. So I did. Then someone else came along and changed it to something else, slightly different but still basically the same. I felt mildly miffed.

The pages are in a almost constant state of tinkering, trying to reach a kind of zen-like perfection. But mainly its made me realise quite how obsessive people can get over a cartoon, although in a way I think many have actually caught a kind of 'Wikifever' (I spent 5 seconds ages coming up with this name) where what they are actually addicted to is the creation of a comprehensive archive…and on a scale that isn't hideous to comprehend, unlike Wikipedia itself.

And thus endeth my random, possibly interesting but most likely vaguely dull thought of the day. It is possible that I might make a blog entry about what I've been doing recently. After all, I've had my birthday and everything.

January 08, 2006

(This title was far too sensible and has been replaced with: Baked Beans and Treacle don't mix)

First update in a while. For those of you hoping that I'd saved up something exciting, prepare to be let down bitterly excited and amazed!

I currently have no prospects of getting a digital camera at all as my parents cancelled the order, due to the general uselessness of the people they had orderd it from. It was then going to be done via Argos…but then they stopped selling it. In the approximately 2 hours while my parents were waiting for me to come out of an exam so they could check it was okay. This is to say it mildly, a tad annoying.

I did however buy a DVD today, Big Train (series 1 and 2). Haven't seen it in a long, long time, but happily it is still as good as I remembered it being. The World Staring Champsionships will never ever age. And I'd also completly forgotten that it had Simon Pegg in it.

Oh I've also been playing with a really cool tech demo called rthdribl which looks really pretty. It doesn't serve any purpose at all other than looking pretty, but I just decided I'd mention it.

December 31, 2005

Its all gone to the dogs

Well as ever Xmas has been nothing but busy. And my digital camera is still not in my hands, due to the uselessness of either:
a) The postman
b) The Company we ordered it from

Now on principle I don't like insulting the postman, ours is quite a nice guy, he delivers our post a lot and probably will for some time so I'm not going to jump to any conclusions. So I'll just blame the useless company (DigiUk or something) instead. It's far easier after all and makes me a bit happier. Currently it is starting to look like it's going to turn into a Birthday present instead.

We went to the dogs today in Walthamstow. Bit of a trek round but we were meeting some friends and I personally find it a lot nicer than Wimbledon. I actually ended up about £4.50 up while betting with only about 20p stakes due to picking 6 out of 14 winners and nailing my one pound free bet.

Naturally that money is all going tomorrow (or rather today for all you pedants out there). It's going to be one long and hopefully eventful night. Just as long as the event isn't involving me and the contents of my stomach it should be pretty awesome.

Cue Ross going to sleep.

December 14, 2005


Ahh the joys of being back home. What i should be doing is catching up with Maths and preparing for my test on the first day back. (The Maths department really are very harsh). What I'm actually doing is
a) Watching a lot of Telly
b) Earning Money
Now I suppose I win back a few brownie points by actually improving my finances a bit. Plus it has kept me busy while I wait for everyone else to get back from Uni.

I actually quite like my job. In small doses. By the end of the holidays I'll probably be fed up of it again. Anyway basically I work in a cafe/restaurant in a garden centre called Squires. It is normally pretty tough work, but infact I kind of relish the challenge. My fellow workers are all pretty cool as well. And of course I'm back in the real world' after being in the bubble.

Well I say real world. My top customer for weirdness at the moment is the guy that comes in and gives Werthers Originals to the member of staff he feels has served him best. When I first heard this I must admit I thought it sounded amazing. Here was a man who was quite elderly (so could even be a grandad) giving out Werthers Original. Just like in the Adverts!
However so far he has only given them out to the girls that work there. And also I guess by my logic it means he kind of see's us as his grandchildren. Which is just a little bit weird. He is also a little bit odd around the girls.

As of yet no one has eaten any of his Werthers Originals.
And now a short preview of my next entry:

Rog, over and out.

December 07, 2005

Okay I've finally got round to writing about RAG week

Yes, it may be only 2 1/2 weeks late but its the moment you've all been waiting for (just so that it will stop me going on about it).

The following is an account of my activites on the week known as RAG Week. Roughly. Sadly due to it being massively late I'm a bit hazy on a few details (ie: almost all of it.)

Sunday: Wake up very tired, I can't remember for sure now, but I think it was Skool Dayz the day before. By the time I've actually got myself into a sentient state (about 5pm) I'm working on my analysis workbook all evening, so fail to go to the RAG quiz. Probably ended up watching Desperate Housewives.

Monday: My busiest (workwise) day of the week. I stroll down to Top Banana at (pm as I'm working in the cloakroom. End up doing very little work (was very quiet) while chatting to lots of RAG people wo were all hanging around. Finish my shift, work out that no one is around and that I'm actually very tired. Go home. I think at this point I probably went to sleep.

Tuesday: My first RAG helper shift. I acquire myself a beautiful red RAG helper shirt, and stroll off on a special delivery with exec member Paul. The aim: 7 pints spread over an hour and a half, going in every 15 mins to get this seminar teacher very drunk.

The actual result: We spend ages trying to find this place. We turn up really late, and the beer is really fizzy when we try and pour it. We go and and the seminar teacher has been replaced by someone else. We leave the beer with the lads that paid for it and bugger off.

It was also at this point that I got persuaded to go and sleep rough that night. So after drinking copious amounts of 'insulation' having 'Spunky' (I think…it was a long night) written on my head and eating a rather nice Naan Bread I dug out my sleeping bag and blanket, put on about 4 layers of clothes and slept outside the Union. And yes, incase there was any doubt, it is very cold sleeping outside.

Wednesday; I got up. I had a shower. I made it to my 9am lecture. I went and helped out at RAG, it was pretty quiet.Went to my Supervision at 12pm. I then slept for most of the afternoon. Naturally however I was wide awake for Score that night. Well, not that wide awake, largely due to the consumption of a lot of alcohol. Watched the eating contest. It was certainly..interesting.

Thursday: Ah yes, the aforementioned Conker day. See previous entry for details on failing to get enough people to play conkers. Also I went to see the Subways in the evening. They were really, really good. Highlight was seeing the lead singer jump up on top of the speakers, climb up the ligthing rigging and get up into Cholo.

Friday: Help out at RAG for most of the afternoon (apart from a brief break for a tes…I suprisingly got my best mark out of all 4, clearly a hectic week is the way forward for these things.) I help out in a couple of Gnomings, and get to act as an Exec for deilveries (due to having absolutely masses of deliveries and only 2 exec for the last hour).
Gnomed the Exec. Big style. Egg on the head and everything. I am so going to get Gnomed in a big way next year as revenge. But it was definately worth it.

And then..the Traffic Light Disco. I could have wrote this the day after and I don't think I would have had that much of a better account than what I have now. I remember being quite drunk when I got there, helping to blow up a lot of balloons…doing the RAG tag thing for about 2 hours as there was no one there, going off and getting more drinks and getting much more drunk. The evening is then mostly a blur (I know I was with Claire, Lindsey and Fiona…I assume I was dancing. Badly.) At around 1am (possibly earlier) they all went so I strolled back over to the RAG tag to see who else was around. I also noticed the presence of 3 of the animals on stage dancing around.

Even in my drunk state I noticed something was wrong. Only 3? After scanning across them a few times I realised that the pink hippo wasn't there! After a few enquiries (well more like…HAVE YOU SEEN THE PINK HIPPO COSTUME????) I raced upstairs to the cloakroom where I found the Hippo. I lept into it and dived onto the stage dancing around like a loon. Now its quite hot in the Hippo costume, and also due to the odd shape of the hippo head and the placement of the eyes…impossible to see out of. At one point I got up on the speakers (I decided I wanted to emulate the Subways from the night before..I quickly changed my mind after realising how high it was).
So yes the night finished…but I carried on and went and hugged loads of people as they were leaving. I think I eventually went to sleep at about 4am, after setting both my alarms to wake me up the next morning at 7:30.

Saturday: Day of the wonderful RAG raid to Reading. (i.e: loads of Raggers going into Reading and shaking buckets to raise cash).

Woke up at 9:45 having slept through both of my alarms. Check my phone. Listen to answerphone message from Nice (aka RAG presidente) alng the lines of 'Where the hell are you Ross? Get up!)
So I check the internet. I look at train times. I dive down to Coventry station. I get a ticket to Reading. Costing about £18. I sit and wait. And wait. I realise bringing something to do would have been a good idea. I sit and wait…I assume I must have just missed the train before. However after a while it starts to dawn on me that it was probably just cancelled. After my train is delayed, and then eventually cancelled, and the following one also delayed I start to wake up and realise what an idiot I am being. Not only was it £18, but I couldn't actually get through to ayone..so my chances of being able to meet them in Reading were slim.

I go back utterly dejected. I really was gutted to have missed it. Go off to Time tunnel that evening but I'm not really up for it. See Frank (also from RAG) turns out he also missed the raid, and seems to think lots of other people probably missed it as well. I feel slightly better after this, as I thought I'd be one of only a few and was letting the side down (it turns out that only 16 out of the 33 who had paid actually made it to the raid). Am still really too tired to enjoy myself that much though. It ended up being a bit of a downbeat ending to what was otherwise an amazing week.

So there it (more or less) is. Without a doubt the most manic week I've ever had. Not just for what I did in the evenings with RAG, but largely for the fact that I don't think I missed a single lecture all week, had a test in which I did well and completed a Differention Sheet (which was also quite good) as well. I think there was probaly some more stuff, but it and I get the feeling some of this stuff, was a 'have to be there moment'.

Should be some entries to come on the joys of being home and quite possibly on the wonders of being back at work. But as this entry is about to go into the realms of being way too long I better stop. Although I think it may well be way too late.

Rog, signing off.