What can I say; playing an instrument for its own sake. Not in a band, or with the intention of joining a band. Not for any other reason than it's so bloody relaxing. And there's something intriguing about seeing your own instrument bedecked shadow flitting across the wall. It's like you're doing something, when in fact you're doing nothing, escaping the mounting pile of work (academic and paid), washing up and general all-encompassing life. Here lie no decisions likely to impact on anything other than the next five minutes.
So here, for no reason other than to celebrate their calming influence, are ten songs which I need only to play along to in order to feel better.
1) Interpol – 'The Specialist'
2) Muse – 'Stockholm Syndrome'
3) The Cooper Temple Clause – 'The Same Mistakes'
4) Red Hot Chilli Peppers – 'Californication'
5) The Killers – 'Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine'
6) Joy Division – 'Love Will Tear Us Apart'
7) Manic Street Preachers – 'Design For Life'
8) Ash – 'Goldfinger'
9) Doves – 'The Cedar Room'
10) Jimmy Eat World – 'Bleed American/Salt Sweat Sugar'
That is all.