All entries for Friday 13 January 2012
January 13, 2012
My 30 for 30
I turned 30
(It was today when I started writing this entry.)
For a few months now, I've been putting together a list of 30 things that I can do when I'm 30. When I was putting the list together, I invited my friends and family to contribute their ideas to the list. I had one rule: in the spirit of openness, I couldn't say "No" to any of their suggestions until my power of veto kicked in on my birthday. I had about 50 items that I've whittled down. Thank you for all your ideas.
The items on the list can be modified, as long as it keeps within the spirit of it. E.g. I'm scared of heights and the deep sea, so item #20 is doing something that I'm scared to do.
So here's my list of 30 for 30:
- Go on a helicopter ride.
- Give money away towards something GREAT.
- Learn a new language to hold a simple 10 minute conversation with a native speaker.
- Learn to dance - ballroom, latin etc.
- Go to a ball.
- Learn how to make tasty Vietnamese cuisine.
- Run a cupcake workshop.
- Take a photo that captures the moment/day/theme, every day for a year.
- Watch Monty Python's Life of Brian.
- Eat at a Michelin starred restaurant.
- Watch a Shakespearean play at the Globe Theatre in London.
- Go to a friend's wedding in a foreign country.
- Drive 2.5 hours to Huddersfield for dinner with my sister and her husband. That's where they live.
- Go to the Opera. As in properly going to an Opera House and seeing an opera. Failing that, go to a musical in London.
- Start reading the Bible in chronological order.
- Visit somewhere that is mentioned in the Bible.
- Swim in open water.
- Do an adventurous water based activity, such as coasteering, canyoning etc.
- Enter a TV show.
- Wing walking or sky-diving or learning to scuba-dive (or at least have planned a scuba diving holiday by the end of the year).
- Do a tough-girl/wolf run sort of obstacle run thing.
- Go to
a classical concertan international sporting event.
- Be part of a play reading.
- Create a scrapbook of 30 for 30.
- Bake macarons.
- Learn how to solve the Rubrik's cube.
- Learn the words of Auld Lang Syne.
- Do a Freedom in Christ, or similar, course.
- Go on the eurostar, or go and see the northern lights in the artic circle.
- Fly business class.
(At some point in January, Stefan pointed out that I had only had 29 things on the list. So, I've been excitedly waiting for a happy happenstance. Flying business class on Singapore Airlines is exactly that!)
Oh, and I'm not planning on doing any of these by myself. "So, diaries people!"