All entries for March 2012
March 31, 2012
Hi I've been kind of busy with revision and so have not really done the reflective entries yet. I think I have made significant progress however. As the final entry is due very soon I'm going to have to write the reflective entries very close together.
For my 1st action point Ive been really active I went further than using it in social sciences subject such as economics and used the system for my statistics as well which I found particularly useful as it allows me to easily make sense of a large chunk of text. This is especially true when your notes are all off the board in lectures and you dont really have time to structure the material.
With regard to 2nd action point I think this has been the most useful of all because anything Urgent or important task that I need done I can quickly take note of and have their next to me. THis overlaps with the P7 workshop, and I believe that it makes me more tme efficient.
The thrid point i still need to find some outlet to do. Will write again in 2 days. Hope this is good enough.
Tutor: Han Na Cha
March 30, 2012
It has come time for my final entry. I have had some signifciant achievement when it comes to first and second point.
As for the third point I have attended a netwrok session with bloomberg. However, I found that even they seemed to misunderstand the concept and were stating qualitites they seek in candidates. However, those traits are as a result of the persons personality. Pesonally I believe that it was a bit of a fake point because really I need to match my personality to the job not the other way round as then I'll only shoot myself in the foot.
With regards to the second point I believe that I have made the most progres which is ironic as it wasnt about myself; i guess its testimony to my extravert dimension which was also the highest percentage expressed in the online MBTI test i took. I noticed that the friends I made were opposite to me in terms of their MBTI roughly as I cant really get them to take the test as they all seem to have short attetnion spans. They aslo were ambivlaent about their type. However, I did learn a lot about who thought what about each dimension and of others
The first point I think I have also fufilled I took an online test. I was slightly expressed in all the dimensions i noticed (which I believe is correct as seen form my previous entries about not leaning toards either side tooo much). As for the dimensions themselves, extravert, sensing, thinking and judging. I believe that is me and I am more importantly happy with it and only because I said so and that is why.
For future improvement I believe that I will carry on with my intention of having these conversations with close friends and family. It should make for some interesting and stimulating talk. As for the career thing in point 3 I should have actually written that in future before clicking the send button on an application I'll stand back and think to myself what is it that the company is looking for and how do I fit in as a person with a specific personality. Should make for some serious life reflection.
I have thoroughly enjoyed this workshop and hope to continue my knowledge of the area.
March 27, 2012
March 21, 2012
March 16, 2012
After attending the session on reading and note taking I feel significantly motivated on certain aspects of the way in which I go about these activities and I'm going to act on that by formulating a plan and seeing how that goes for next few weeks.
1. During my revision in subjects requiring a lot of note taking eg economics i'm going to use Cornell system as I found it particularly beneficialespecially when i'm working at my own pace.
2. During these periods of study I'm going to keep a seperate rough sheet of paper down next to me to write notes telling me how i can organize as I go along or something i'm having particular problems with.
3. I'm going to use to maximum affect the sticky notes given to me. Although i think I'm going to have to buy a bigger pad as theyre fairly small and cool with the tissue box and everything. However, they will be used to mark out the points of importance in notes (eg proofs that could come up in exam). Ill come up with some other things probably.
Another week gone by and the time for another reflective entry has come.
I have just completed a half module assesment with a gruelling few days in the learning Grid and library. During that time a lot of the people I talked to whom I also knew i noticed a change in. I noticed that wheh they were focused on that goal of finishing their project I noticed that they became more introvertive.
Thats not me bmaking things up. I'm actually genuinely truthful about this. I believe that sometimes intense periods of focus can cause people to radically alter themselves; it varies with each person. Through this experience I've both learnt how to categorise people and also the shifting dynamics of this topic.
As for a particular one of my friends (who has done the Portfolio Award) I talked to him on the topic and we had some intense discussion which was unfortunately interupted. However, I noticed that he also was of the mind that your personality is ever shifting and through that we came to know even more about each other than we previously did. He told me a few things (which I'm not going to mention because I have great respect for him) that I didnt know. THis was someone I considered my inner circle.
Its interesting to see how different MBTI types interact and the means in which they interact. I look forward to my final entry to conclude all these thoughts and experiences.
March 13, 2012
After a week of making my action plan I feel more fulfilled on some of my action points.
With regards to my SMART goal I have been successful and have sat down each day at breakfast to think about what it is I need to do and this eventually leads to the tasks being done during the day. However, I have not been making a written list. I think I'll try to get that done by my next blog entry.
I havent really addressed the second action point becuase of the severity of my workload. However, come thurday I'll have some breathing space so when my next blog entry comes round I'll go into detail on that.
The third point i think is the one that has come in most use whenever I use it. Witha ig assignment deadline coming up every time my mind wnaders or I'm distracted i bring my mind back to that incumbent deadline. It actually genuinely scares me; so very effective!!
March 11, 2012
After another week ive come to write my reflective entry.
I have to agree with your previous comment about different people having different concepts about what personality type they are and whether they are firmly rooted to that idea or they believe they change like me. Ive especially noticed this with my closer friends. I've indirectly been talking to them on this issue. When I ask them what they think of me their views generally seemed to be coherrent with mine; although they didnt agree with my view that my personlaity type was very fluid. I guess it just depends on the context in which you talk in. Some of my friends see me in a certain way than others.
As for your comments about employers I'll keep that in mind and make sure I just keep the MBTI for my own personal realtionships with peolpe. I havent really categorised people yet; in some ways I find it quite hard. Its kind of hard to ask them something like:
"If you had a gun to your head would you say that you were E or I in this dimension :D"
Its just hard to get people to open up about these things especially if they think its a load of rubbish; could use a few tips?
March 05, 2012
Having attended the workshop P7 Organising yourself and your time I have constructed a 3 point action plan.
1. My SMART Goal is to create a to-do list every morning whilst having breakfast (so as to avoid time wastage alter in the day) when my time is more precious.
2. I'm going to sit down soon after the workshop and planned exactly what I want done between now and the exams.
3. I'm going to continuosly think to myself whenever i find myself procastinating "what is it I'm stopping myself from doing". Aside from this every friday afternoon on the way home I'm going to think to myself what is getting in the way of my goals and what can I possibly do to remove that obstacle.
P.S. I very much enjoyed the workshop it struck a chord with me :D
March 02, 2012
After attending the workshop for Understanding your personality I yhave constructed a 3 point action plan to take away from the workshop. That is as follows
1. During some period of extensive free time (which I dont really have but I'll make somehow) I will take another go at exercises in the session and compare what I find to what happened in session. I found that my personality seemed to change a fair bit over time and it would be interesting to see what it is like in a period of relative calm.
2. I'm going to try the same thing with a friend and see what his thoughts on what he found about himself and me are; whether he believe that what he came out with was really him?
3. Next time at some sort fo networking session or some other work related event, I could discuss the contents of workshop with employers and ccompare what they look for with the qualitites possesed by the different dimension E, I etc