All entries for Tuesday 31 January 2012
January 31, 2012
After attending the workshop for career planning I have created my three point action plan on how I intend to use the information given to me to improve upon myself, that is as follows:
1. I'm going to critically analyze my skill set and match it to what employers are looking for in their job descritptions when it comes to applying for internships and grad jobs in the future.
2. The workshop brought to attention my disparity in commercial awareness skills. So I need to work on that. I reckon reading a broader range of materials will help. The Gateway is distributed regularly. i think Ill give it a read next time I see it.
3. Also I've noticed that my skill set is heaily dependant on work that I do. I tend to pick up less knowledge and other useful stuff when it comes to socialising. I dont think its becuase of lack of interest; maybe its just the topics I discuss when I'm with friends. I guess that I should possibly attend more socials by the Warwick Finance society for instance to discuss whats going on. Also it might improve other skills such as Commercial Awareness
Tutor: Siobhan Qadir
After attending the workshop and reflecting on my activities it comes time for me to write my final entry showing how I have worked on my action plan and how I intend to invest in myself in the future
1. Use exercises in the workshop to prepare myself for interview competency questions
I have recently been applying to a few different for internships. I have used the reflective learning bookmark. I take past experiences analyse them, think about what I learnt and then think of whether it was for me. Then according to this I write what I got out of the experience on my application when I've decided that it is a match with what theyre looking for. However, I also mention what I am planning or have reently taken up to demonstrate my dedication to self imporvement.
I also break down my skills into subcategories: intellectual, social, communication, career, technical etc in order to present myself as a well rounded individual. I cant remember whether we did this in the workshop but i've found it to be a very useful technique as it fits like a jigsaw when filling in the applications.
2. Going to try to be more well rounded
This was importnant for me in terms of my career and for my own well being. Companies want people who can demonstrate a want to improve themselves. That means playing on your strengths and working on your weaknesses. One area where I am slightly lacking is my mastery of languages. As one of my career ambitions is to work abroad I need to get things into gear. So I've taken up an online German course in order to do that. As well as this Ive also taken some basic lessons in Arabic which I plan on continue in the summer upon arrival of more free time.
I'm also intending to apply for a position on the exectutive of a Warwick society which runs a large annual event on campus during the term. This will be a great oppurtunity for me to get more involved, put to use all of my skills and imporve upon them. As well as this it shows my leadership capabilities and stand me in good stead for my career path.
3. Being hounest with myself working to my steengths and working on weaknesses
In the spirit of this action point I'm going to come clean and say that its very hard for me to think of something to say that doesnt look exactly what i wrote for the second point. However, I can say that I am being more hounest with myself becuase wiht my recent applications I have to put up the best picture of myself WITHOUT lying about my capabilities. That includes how proficient I am in my languages or whether i actually read the economist etc.
Aside from this I am planning and will continue to invest in myself and my image in the future by getting involved with some new activities. Among these I am planning to continue my Arabic lessons and also want to find time to begin Spanish. I intend to look for work experience over in Gemrany as that would enable me to continue learning the language and prevent stagnation of my memory whilst at the same time gaining valuable work experience. As I mentioned I will try to get more involved in a leadership role within the university by undertaking the management of some sort of a project or event. I think the workshop has been a valuable experience and intend to continue working towards the "Warwick Skills Portfolio Award" for my own personal development. One workshop in particular is "An Introduction to Emotional intelligence".