All entries for Saturday 06 February 2010
February 06, 2010
Question: “I know about a new movie called ‘2012′ which portray 2012 as the end of the world. Can you tell me Islamic point of view on this topic?
Answer: ”Surely, knowledge of the Hour is with Allah alone. ” (Holy Qur’an 31:34)
The knowledge of time of Qiyamah (End of the world) has not been given to any angel, man or being. The exact time of the Doomsday is given neither in Qur’an nor in Hadith. It is something that only Allah knows - as mentioned in the above Quranic verse.
Much like Y2K, 2012 has been analyzed and the science of the end of the Earth thoroughly studied. Contrary to some of the common beliefs out there, the science behind the end of the world quickly unravels when pinned down to the 2012 timeline. Below, NASA Scientists answer several questions that we’re frequently asked regarding 2012.
Question (Q):Are there any threats to the Earth in 2012? Many Internet websites say the world will end in December 2012.
Answer (A):Nothing bad will happen to the Earth in 2012. Our planet has been getting along just fine for more than 4 billion years, and credible scientists worldwide know of no threat associated with 2012.
Q:What is the origin of the prediction that the world will end in 2012?
A:The story started with claims that Nibiru, a supposed planet discovered by the Sumerians, is headed toward Earth. This catastrophe was initially predicted for May 2003, but when nothing happened the doomsday date was moved forward to December 2012. Then these two fables were linked to the end of one of the cycles in the ancient Mayan calendar at the winter solstice in 2012 — hence the predicted doomsday date of December 21, 2012.
Q:Does the Mayan calendar end in December 2012?
A:Just as the calendar you have on your kitchen wall does not cease to exist after December 31, the Mayan calendar does not cease to exist on December 21, 2012. This date is the end of the Mayan long-count period but then — just as your calendar begins again on January 1 — another long-count period begins for the Mayan calendar.
Q:Could a phenomena occur where planets align in a way that impacts Earth?
A:There are no planetary alignments in the next few decades, Earth will not cross the galactic plane in 2012, and even if these alignments were to occur, their effects on the Earth would be negligible. Each December the Earth and sun align with the approximate center of the Milky Way Galaxy but that is an annual event of no consequence.
Q:Is there a planet or brown dwarf called Nibiru or Planet X or Eris that is approaching the Earth and threatening our planet with widespread destruction?
A:Nibiru and other stories about wayward planets are an Internet hoax. There is no factual basis for these claims. If Nibiru or Planet X were real and headed for an encounter with the Earth in 2012, astronomers would have been tracking it for at least the past decade, and it would be visible by now to the naked eye. Obviously, it does not exist. Eris is real, but it is a dwarf planet similar to Pluto that will remain in the outer solar system; the closest it can come to Earth is about 4 billion miles.
Q:What is the polar shift theory? Is it true that the earth’s crust does a 180-degree rotation around the core in a matter of days if not hours?
A:A reversal in the rotation of Earth is impossible. There are slow movements of the continents (for example Antarctica was near the equator hundreds of millions of years ago), but that is irrelevant to claims of reversal of the rotational poles. However, many of the disaster websites pull a bait-and-shift to fool people. They claim a relationship between the rotation and the magnetic polarity of Earth, which does change irregularly, with a magnetic reversal taking place every 400,000 years on average. As far as we know, such a magnetic reversal doesn’t cause any harm to life on Earth. A magnetic reversal is very unlikely to happen in the next few millennia, anyway.
Q:Is the Earth in danger of being hit by a meteor in 2012?
A:The Earth has always been subject to impacts by comets and asteroids, although big hits are very rare. The last big impact was 65 million years ago, and that led to the extinction of the dinosaurs. Today NASA astronomers are carrying out a survey called the Space guard Survey to find any large near-Earth asteroids long before they hit. We have already determined that there are no threatening asteroids as large as the one that killed the dinosaurs. All this work is done openly with the discoveries posted every day on the NASA NEO Program Office website, so you can see for yourself that nothing is predicted to hit in 2012.
Q:How do NASA scientists feel about claims of pending doomsday?
A: For any claims of disaster or dramatic changes in 2012, where is the science? Where is the evidence? There is none, and for all the fictional assertions, whether they are made in books, movies, documentaries or over the Internet, we cannot change that simple fact. There is no credible evidence for any of the assertions made in support of unusual events taking place in December 2012.
Q:Is there a danger from giant solar storms predicted for 2012?
A:Solar activity has a regular cycle, with peaks approximately every 11 years. Near these activity peaks, solar flares can cause some interruption of satellite communications, although engineers are learning how to build electronics that are protected against most solar storms. But there is no special risk associated with 2012. The next solar maximum will occur in the 2012-2014 time frame and is predicted to be an average solar cycle, no different than previous cycles throughout history.
Islam and Doomsday
Islam believes in Doomsday - a day when the entire world will be destroyed. This day is called “Day of judgement.”
Holy Quran has explicitly stated this“Verily, Allah! With Him (Alone) is the knowledge of the Hour“(Surah Luqman 31/34).
So there is no indication in Quran or the saying of the prophet Muhammad (SAW) that 2012 is the end of the world - according to what projected by the mayan calender, and as potrayed by the movie.
Signs Before the End of The World
The exact time of the Doomsday is given neither in Qur’an nor in Hadith. But Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) have pointed out the distinctive signs in Hadiths and in Qur’anic verses, which will happen near to the last hour constantly warned the believers for the appointed day.
There are major and minor signs that point to the Doomsday event. Here are 68 minor signs and 12 major signs before the Doomsday.
The Major Signs:
Although they appear here in no particular order, it is important to point out that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said that these last, major signs will follow each other like pearls falling off of a necklace…
- Coming of Masih ad-Dajjal (The AntiChrist)
- Arrival of The Mahdi
- The appearance of Masih al-Isa (Jesus Christ), the son of Mary (peace be upon him)
- Yajuj and Majuj (Gog and Magog)
- The destruction of the Kabah and the recovery of its treasure
- Emergence of the Beast
- The smoke
- Three major landslides (one in the East, one in the West, and one on the Arabian peninsula)
- The wind will take the souls of the believers
- The rising of the sun from the west
- The fire will drive the people to their final gathering place
- Three blasts of the trumpet (fear & terror, death, resurrection)
The Minor Signs:
- The disappearance of knowledge and the appearance of ignorance (Bukhari, Muslim, Ibn Majah, & Ahmad)
- Books/writing will be widespread and (religious) knowledge will be low (Ahmad)
- Adultery and fornication will be prevalent (The Prophet, peace be upon him, said that this has never happened without new diseases befalling the people, which their ancestors had not known.) (Bukhari, Muslim, Ibn Majah, & Al-Haythami)
- When fornication becomes widespread among your leaders (The Prophet, peace be upon him, said that this will happen when the people stop forbidding evil) (Ibn Majah)
- Adultery and fornication will be performed in the open
- The consumption of intoxicants will be widespread (Bukhari & Muslim)
- Women will outnumber men……eventually 50:1 (Bukhari, Muslim, & Ahmad)
- Killing, killing, killing (Bukhari, Muslim, Ibn Majah, & Ahmad)
- The nations of the earth will gather against the Muslims like hungry people going to sit down to a table full of food. This will occur when the Muslims are large in number, but “like the foam of the sea”.
- People will beat others with whips like the tails of oxen (Muslim) ?The Slave Trade
- The children will be filled with rage (at-Tabarani, al-Hakim)
- Children will be foul (at-Tabarani, al-Hakim)
- Women will conspire (at-Tabarani, al-Hakim)
- Rain will be acidic or burning (at-Tabarani, al-Hakim)
- Children of fornication will become widespread or prevalent (at-Tabarani, al-Hakim)
- When a trust becomes a means of making a profit (at-Tirmidhi, Al-Haythami)
- Gains will be shared out only among the rich, with no benefit to the poor (at-Tirmidhi)
- Paying zakat becomes a burden and miserliness becomes widespread; charity is given reluctantly (at-Tirmidhi & Al-Haythami)
- Miserliness will be thrown into the hearts of people (Bukhari)
- Episodes of sudden death will become widespread (Ahmad)
- There will be people who will be brethren in public but enemies in secret (He was asked how that would come about and replied, “Because they will have ulterior motives in their mutual dealings and at the same time will fear one another.”) (at-Tirmidhi)
- When a man obeys his wife and disobeys his mother; and treats his friend kindly while shunning his father (at-Tirmidhi)
- When voices are raised in the mosques (at-Tirmidhi)
- People will walk in the marketplace with their thighs exposed
- Great distances will be traversed in short spans of time
- The people of Iraq will recieve no food and no money due to oppression by the Romans (Europeans) (Muslim)
- People will hop between the clouds and the earth
- A tribulation will enter everyones home (Ahmad)
- The leader of a people will be the worst of them (at-Tirmidhi)
- Leaders of people will be oppressors (Al-Haythami)
- People will treat a man with respect out of fear for some evil he might do (at-Tirmidhi)
- Men will begin to wear silk (at-Tirmidhi)
- Female singers and musical instruments will become popular (at-Tirmidhi)
- When singers become common (Al-Haythami)
- People will dance late into the night
- When the last ones of the Ummah begin to curse the first ones (at-Tirmidhi)
- People will claim to follow the Qur’an but will reject hadith & sunnah (Abu Dawood)
- People will believe in the stars (Al-Haythami)
- People will reject al-Qadr (the Divine Decree of Destiny) (Al-Haythami)
- Time will pass rapidly (Bukhari, Muslim, & Ahmad)
- Good deeds will decrease (Bukhari)
- Smog will appear over cities because of the evil that they are doing
- People will be carrying on with their trade, but their will only be a few trustworthy persons
- Wealth will increase so much so that if a man were given 10,000, he would not be content with it (Ahmad & Bukhari)
- A man will pass by a grave and wish that he was in their place (Bukhari)
- Earthquakes will increase (Bukhari & Muslim)
- There will be attempts to make the deserts green
- The appearance of false messengers (30 dajjals) (Bukhari)
- Women will be naked in spite of being dressed, these women will be led astray & will lead others astray (Muslim)
- The conquest of Constantinople by the Muslims (Ahmad)
- The conquest of India by the Muslims, just prior to the return of Jesus, son of Mary (peace be upon both of them)(Ahmad, an-Nisa’i, at-Tabarani, al-Hakim)
- When people begin to compete with others in the construction of taller buildings (Bukhari)
- There will be a special greeting for the people of distinction (Ahmad)
- The Euphrates will disclose a treasure (The Prophet, peace be upon him, said that whoever is present should not take anything from it) (Bukhari & Muslim)
- Two large groups, adhering to the same religious teaching will fight each other with large numbers of casualties (Bukhari & Muslim)
- Wild animals will be able to talk to humans (Ahmad)
- A man will leave his home and his thigh or hip will tell him what is happening back at his home (Ahmad)
- Years of deceit in which the truthful person will not be believed and the liar will be believed (Ahmad)
- Bearing false witness will become widespread (Al-Haythami & Ahmad)
- When men lie with men and women lie with women (Al-Haythami)
- Trade will become so widespread that a woman will be forced to help her husband in business (Ahmad)
- A woman will enter the workforce out of love for this world (Ahmad)
- Arrogance will increase in the earth (at-Tabarani, al-Hakim)
- Family ties will be cut (Ahmad)
- There will be many women of child-bearing age who will no longer give birth.
- There will be an abundance of food, much of which has no blessing in it.
- People will refuse when offered food.
- Men will begin to look like women and women will begin to look like men